2018 P Michigan quarter (pictured rocks) error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hi! I'm the car guy!, Apr 3, 2018.

1. This is something i haven't seen written yet for this particular quarter. Was wondering what some of your opinions are for this 2018 P pictured rocks. seems like there's either some struck through grease or it's something else. there's also what look to be two letters sticking up to the right of the rock, that's what caught my eye initially. the branches on the far right are also doubling slightly as well.

Update: think i see doubling on the obverse in UNITED and also QUARTER.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KEK52

KEK52 New Member

Is the tree branch supposed to be touching the rock?
    On my quarter there are problems with the letters “ LLAR “ on the word dollar, but I am not sure it is doubling.mine doesn’t have the grouping of dots(or whatever) beside the rock, but one of the big branches over the rock has a lump or indentation. Maybe there are several coin errors for this year.

4. KEK52

KEK52 New Member

I have a similar one and have the same LLAR and the tree branch attached to the rock. Mine doesn’t have the “drips” on George ‘s neck but has one on the other side, left side tree.
    Anyone else know about this?
    There is a youtube video with similar errors on it, and of the 3 ( yours, mine and his) none of the coins have identical errors but they share similar ones.
    What’s the deal?

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

always good when have some general design questions to look at online resources.
    such as usacoinbook which this is from
    upload_2019-5-24_20-52-33.png upload_2019-5-24_20-53-8.png

the above image doesn't show those "dots" that you identified on your quarter. I think it's just environmental damage but that's just a guess. Need better pics.

I don't see letters by the rocks?
    the two double hickies on the neck and cheek are just hits from the edge of other quarters (or dimes - reeded coins).

I think the below is just ejection doubling @furryfrog02
    upload_2019-5-24_20-55-2.png

Attached Files:

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

1) Bubbles to the right of the rocks - I'm thinking it is some sort of blistering on the plating or some other PMD. Doesn't look to have been on the die when struck. Perhaps it's a rock slide? :p
    2) George's neck - Clear damage. Possibly from another coin. You can tell by the way the metal was moved.
    3) Agree with @Clawcoins on the "QUARTER". I see no actual doubling.

Clawcoins likes this.
  7. Mernskeeter

Mernskeeter Active Member

Maybe there is an itty-bitty die clash on the bottom of the obverse under QUARTER.?

Draft saved Draft deleted