2018-P Jefferson Nickel - Reverse Die Chip Errors

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by ConfederateHalf, Jul 21, 2018.

1. ConfederateHalf

ConfederateHalf Stars & Bars Forever

I have been searching a box of nickels this week. Lots of B.U. 2018-P Jeffs in this box. I found two different varieties of reverse die chip errors. Both appear on the left end of Monticello. The first variety has two die chips near one another. One is higher up and larger and the other much smaller chip appears just to the left of it on the exterior of the building just to the far left.

On my next post I will show the second variety I found. A totally different die chip, but in the same area, only a bit lower down.

Apparently, the mint is having some trouble with the dies in this area of the reverse design of Monticello this year.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ConfederateHalf

Here is the second variety...

2018-P BU Jefferson Nickel Rev Die Chip Error Var2 Reverse.jpg 2018-P BU Jefferson Nickel Rev Die Chip Error Var2 Closeup.jpg

Bambam8778 likes this.
  4. ConfederateHalf

I have searched 10 rolls of nickels from this box and have, thus far, found 4 examples of the first variety and 2 examples of the second variety.

I also found an earlier die state version of the first variety where you can see the ghostly outline of the large die chip boundaries before the chip occurred. Sort of like stress lines. That was pretty cool to see...

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Great finds.. I refer to them as "Hornets Nest Die Chips" such as the kind on these Cents - 2007mine.jpg
    Thanks for sharing

Bambam8778 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I agree die chip or as @paddyman98. Said hornets nest hadn't heard that one. Lol
    Dave

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. ConfederateHalf

Paddyman98: I like that name "Hornet's Nest" die chips. Very colorful. LOL! That's a nice one on that Lincoln Memorial Cent.

I know these are not worth much money, but I put 'em all in 2x2's to preserve them since they are in mint state. So far, I've gone through 15 rolls of nickels and have pulled out 10 of these - 5 of each of the two varieties I posted.

8. Scubalou

Scubalou Well-Known Member

Hi all: I found this today. The entire coin has md on the south and east side. On the obverse the 8 and the y seem to be doubled on the west side. On the reverse is a small die chip on the left of the building, a large die chip on the right of the building and looks like a die crack above the window to the right of the door.
    Lou

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted