2018 P diamond ring behind shield

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Feb 1, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I had a bunch of penny rolls that I think were not circulated from Loomis. I broke a few open awhile ago and found some with the identical die cracks which was kind of cool. I opened another one and found the oddest die crack or error or whatever it is. Its showing up exactly the same on about 5 different pennies. It looks like a diamond ring sitting half behind the shield. Is this from a die crack? Is it normal for the crack to be so "circular" like this? I took a picture of a few in the group. I guess it makes sense if the die is broken of somehow has a defect, that defect will transfer to each coin thats minted with that die right?

184.jpg 185.jpg 181.jpg 182.jpg 183.jpg 186.jpg 187.jpg

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. some kind of defect occurred on that particular Die.. So it will show up on the other Cents.

4. MatrixMP-9

Thanks Paddyman. I havent been doing this long, is this common like this?

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Die crack depression. Have seen a lot of these on the ATB quarters. Usually it starts out as just a depression but if you can find others of the same you will see the die crack beginning and progressing. Eventually there ends up being a die chip as it goes along. I bought several bags of the Homestead quarters and was able to watch the progression.

cpm9ball likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah! I found a similar anomaly in a bag of 2005 CA SQ's. Apparently, it begins as an expansion of a subsurface fracture on the die which creates a depression on each coin. Finally, the fracture gives way on the die as a full-blown die break, and becomes a raised blob of metal on the coin. In the case of my CA SQ's, I found several coins with the depression and just one coin with the die chip. Since it was on the brim of John Muir's hat with the bird flying above, I thought it appropriate that I call it "Condor Doo Doo".:woot:

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. MatrixMP-9

Cool! I have the roll and some have just a hint of a crack in the shield..then it gets bigger...then a bit longer ...then starts showing like the "ring" and the last few have the entire "mistake". I am going to try and put them in order in a line and somehow seal them up from beginning to end. Maybe even make a little display with photos of each progression. Could be a cool little project.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. MatrixMP-9

Chris...you dont by any chance have a photo to share? Sounds cool and I would love to see what you describe. I find the naturally occurring anomalies because of the nature of "metal" to be intriguing. Just looking at coins on ebay and other places, the shield rim seems more susceptible on newer pennies. I seen some cool ones where cracks ended up on his nose and forehead which for whatever reason is just cool.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Unfortunately, I lost the photos on my old computer when the graphics card fried, and I no longer have adequate space in my current apartment to take photos.

Chris

10. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Out of tens of thousands of pennies Meow has CRH, Meow has yet to find anything besides die polish lines on shield reverse pennies. Meow is thinking either the quality control is getting better at the mint, or that the shield design is conducive to good strikes; Much more so that the Memorial reverse. Good eye spotting that.

Draft saved Draft deleted