2018 no mm DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by FoundinTN, Apr 19, 2019.

1. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I found an interesting 2018 penny that i believe is a doubled die. It also has some interesting marks on the shield.Any input is appreciated.

I see what appears to be doubling in liberty,mostly in the LIB. Possible double in the date.Double on the O on the shield? A mark on the lower banner on the shield..along with other interesting characteristics on the back ..idk what im looking at tbh 20190419_004819.jpg 20190419_003908.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

Hi:)
    Imho, it looks like a misaligned die strike or mad. Based on the lettering-numerals and the rim. Let’s wait and hear what some of the experts say.

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

We need better pictures of the whole coin, front and back, to confirm the mis-aligned die strike, and what you see as doubling appears, at this point, to be DDD or Die Deterioration Doubling, caused by worn dies flattening out the metal during the strike.
    Also, no mint mark simply means it was minted at the Philadelphia mint.

But, as Brer Rabbit says, let's hear from others. While we're waiting, Don't go near that briar patch !

5. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

Eh,i think im just trying too hard to find something

Gigi63 and Hookman like this.
  6. Hookman

That recognition is a First step in the Right direction.

7. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

72479A13-B313-4260-A000-289D845FF914.jpeg 045CC1F1-93F1-4716-85E8-5782BC82CACD.jpeg 8CC9642A-BF20-446F-AF0E-C5C3B2391C2F.jpeg
    Oh:) well my neck of the woods isn’t so bad. As for the home cooking. I am sure even Gordon Ramsay would like a taste of this Canadians home cooking:) After working in the restaurant industry for 20 years I think I picked up a thing or two;)

8. Hookman

That's an amazing city and photo. Food is lookin' Good !!

R_rabbit likes this.
  9. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Looking at Wexler’s listing and the 2 at Coppercoins it looks like your coin is not a match. To assist others with your diagnosis, take pictures of a subject coin mimicking the pictures at the sites. It’ll allow others to dial in or help explain why your coin is not a match. And if you’re lucky help you to establish a new attribution

Draft saved Draft deleted