2018 Denver Doubled Ear?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wesley Samborski, May 4, 2021.

?

Is this the 2018d doubled ear?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Looking to see weather or not this coin is the 2018 doubled ear. Also weather or not its rare.

Attached Files:

Kevin Mader likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Yeah, it looks like what I've seen. I don't know the value of a 2018 doubled ear cent, as it has been newly discovered.

Here is a post on a different coin forum which supports it being a DDO:
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=352509

And here is one on cointalk... Has bad pictures and people think its a die chip.
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=352509

And here it is on variety vista.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01e LC Doubled Dies Vol 5/2018DDDO001.htm

I personally think its a doubled ear, but lets see what other people have to say.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

5. GH#75 likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What does the price guide say?
    But they are. Those are just different sets of pictures helping identify the die stage it's in.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The 'blob' attached to the ear lobe doesn't have the same shape nor the same angles, and since the rest of area seems somewhat different in texture, I will not say it is a single squeeze doubled die. Others will I have no doubt, so best towards them and I am sorry if others may accumulate them thinking they will retire wealthy ....good luck. Jim

eddiespin likes this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like that. It's accurate and descriptive. I wish everybody used that terminology to describe these finds. When we're just calling them "doubled dies," we're spreading confusion. If anything, these are more related to strike doubling than die doubling. The only resemblance they have to dies is that's where the doubling occurred, it didn't occur in the striking of the coins, but in the hubbing stage, the squeezing of the dies.

GH#75 and ldhair like this.
  9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

The position of the doubling is indicative of the single squeeze doubling. Consider the 2009 DDRs of Lincoln's thumb/finger. They have the distorted appearance too, but it's attributable to those features. I agree it's misshapen but it looks to be doubling.

Paradigm shifts are generally hard to make. The most entrenched paradigms require centuries to eliminate and replace. From the purist's perspective using the old paradigm for die production, you make a valid point. But the paradigm shifted...new set of rules and boundaries. Relative to the new paradigm, it's doubling. Just my opinion of course.

expat and GH#75 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted