2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FrugalCO, Mar 15, 2018.

1. FrugalCO

FrugalCO Member

2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Coin pic1.JPG I'm new to coin collecting... and I've bumped my head-on-the-wall purposely for reasons I have no clue as to why ! But with the new coin being minted by the usgov mint... having a metal content of 85% Gold, 14.8% Copper, and Balanced Zinc ... why is this coin worth buying ?? I'm naïve here so don't beat me up too hard ! LOL Afterall, some collectors collect for anything, right ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It's a Pink Gold, and the reverse has a large Butterfly on it !!
    And it's for Breast Cancer Awareness.

Just remember, you don't have to collect anything that you do not like. This product may likely cost less $$ a couple years down the road, assuming gold spot stays about the same. So if you kinda like it, and can wait, it *may* be cheaper later on in the secondary market.

[​IMG]
    The United States Mint is proud of the Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Program and its role in funding research to improve outcomes and save lives. In honor of all those affected by this disease, purchase a coin and help continue these efforts.
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/breast-c...old-coin-18CE.html?cgid=2018-product-schedule

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

FYI, if my calculations are correct there is about $286ish dollars of Proof gold in the Introductory priced $431 USMINT.gov coin.

They have a Regular Gold, much cheaper Proof and Uncirculated Silver version, Clad versions. Also a coin and stamp set later this fall.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  5. onecenter

onecenter Member

I guess I am the first member here to report purchasing the coins. I bought my usual, both silver dollars and clad half dollars in proof and uncirculated. Purchase took about 45 seconds, flat. My post-1981 collection of silver and clad commemoratives remains complete!

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I got one too!
    $396 to the US Mint, $35 to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. :D

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Assuming the mint makes enough profit to cover their expenses. If they don't the mint will take the breast cancers foundations surcharge money.

8. onecenter

onecenter Member

Received my uncirculated and proof clad half dollar and silver dollars today. Very nice, as usual. The proof coins seem to have less of a frosted surface than previous commemoratives and much less than the 2018 proof set, also received in the same package.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I don't think people realize that. I think the only organization that actually got their promised surcharge was the Special Olympics program if I am not mistaken.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

To the best of my knowledge, all of them have gotten their surcharges with the exception of two, the Yellowstone commemorative, and the Girl Scouts. With the Yellowstone commemorative the surcharges was supposed to go to the parks department, but the parks department had no way of raising the required matching funds. So the government gave the surcharges to some other organization that was able to match the funds. I don't remember who it was. In the case of the Girl Scouts sales were poor enough, and the mint advertised heavily enough, that proceeds did not cover the mints expenses, so the mint kept the surcharge money.

In both cases I consider it collecting funds under false pretenses. It was promoted that the surcharges would go to those organizations, the money was collected, but then the organizations didn't get the money that was promised to them, and the money was not returned to the people it was collected from.

dwhiz likes this.
  11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The mint followed the law. I guess an * should have been in the ads.

* the mints costs - including materials, manufacturing and advertising are recovered first, before any monies are released to the beneficiaries.

Happy?

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes that would make me happy. Without that disclaimer purchasers are going to be under the impression that every penny of the surcharges going to go to the organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted