2018 American Innovation Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert91791, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I wanted to share my first acquisition set of American Innovation proof S coin

Merry Christmas everyone

Robert 15455244067531112580162.jpg 1545524455635-1807726498.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert91791

1545524690008-1218426227.jpg

A roll of P and D.

YTD Inventory:
    P - 25
    D- 25
    S- 5

Goal: 100 each

dlhill132, NLL, charlietig and 6 others like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice.

Robert91791 likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got mine this morning. Pics to follow,,,,,,,if I remember. Christmas stress........

Chris B likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm going to wait till the last day to stress out.

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Mine will arrive on Christmas eve.

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Have you checked to see if there's both Type A and Type B?

Robert91791 likes this.
  9. Robert91791

Nope. There is only one proof (S) and
    P and D .

10. Inspector43

From my understanding, Type A and Type B refer to the orientation of the edge script. Type A is right side up with regards to the obverse of the coin. Type B would be upside down. If anyone has a different interpretation please jump.

Robert91791 likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's my understanding as well.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

It would have been nice to see the seal on the reverse's upper right be the entire design.

13. Robert91791

I wont be able to tell because I will never open the rolls. I will call that a mystery type. Lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Type A and type B is basically meaningless because it happens randomly and there is no correct orientation intended by the mint.
    IMO, they are not errors or varieties.

15. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

There's a lot of hate regarding this coin as i understand from the couple threads I've seen. Do people not like it because of this coins design, or is the whole series?

I personally enjoy this coin. I would've liked to buy one but i didn't need a whole roll of Ps and Ds... Plus with all the Christmas shopping my wallet is thankful!

The reverse (statue of liberty) is nice... but there is a TON of empty unutilized space. Someone suggested adding the seal which would've been nice. I could also see adding a cityscape background.

I really enjoy the obverse though. Especially in the proof version as photographed by Robert :)!

Robert91791 likes this.
  16. humma3800

humma3800 Member

Yes,this coin comes in both pos A lettering upside down and pos. B lettering right side up. This is per PCGS, who graded the Prez, dollars in both pos. NGC could not be bothered.I looked at the Denver coin,very well struck,no too baggy.HOWEVER with the large fields on the reverse side,

17. humma3800

humma3800 Member

Yes,this coin comes in both pos A lettering upside down and pos. B lettering right side up. This is per PCGS, who graded the Prez, dollars in both pos. NGC could not be bothered.I looked at the Denver coin,very well struck,no too baggy. HOWEVER with the large fields on the reverse side,[Statue of Liberty side].Can't see any grading above m.s.67.I do think there will be proof-like coins however.

18. Inspector43

I didn't intend to imply that A and B were errors. However, I would consider them as varieties since they are actually different. But, I don't see any differences in value. The edge lettering that the US Mint applies is the worst example of minting that I have ever seen. It ruined the Sacagawea and Presidential issues. Will it ruin these also?

19. green18

Actually, with regard to the proofs, there is only one orientation and that is with the edge lettering right side up when the obverse of the coin is observed....

20. Robert91791

Talk to US Mint and they dont recognize or support these variation types by grading companies. They also stand behind that these coins are the highest quality. Once they get sold to retail in bags and gets re-package in non-OGP rolls they are considered circulated.

21. green18

I personally enjoy the issue and like the simplicity of the reverse. I think it's a lot nicer than the Liberty Mutual type (Statue of) from the presidential dollars series.....

As promised, a couple of shots from my acquisition.

DSC_7637.JPG DSC_7639.JPG

Robert91791 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted