2018/19 penny over date?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jake Barone, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Jake Barone

Jake Barone New Member

So I was going through some change and found this interesting penny! I’d like to know if there is more like it

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is a copper plated zinc cent. The 8 has either a die chip or plating blister in it.
    It's impossible for an overdate to occur with the new minting technology. The reason it might look like a 9 is called Paredolia.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Agree with @paddyman98. Looks like a die chip to me.

Evan Saltis and Jake Barone like this.
  5. Jake Barone

Jake Barone New Member

I’ll take a better picture what do y’all recommend using for the clearest most sharp tool? So y’all can see the coin more clearly I only have an 11.5x

6. paddyman98

Don't bother.. It's not an overdate and you will never convince anyone with any new pictures.

John Burgess and Amos 811 like this.
  7. Jake Barone

Jake Barone New Member

I’m not trynna convince anyone I’m extremely new to this that’s why I was asking

8. paddyman98

I gave you a simple answer. Did you understand it?
    There is no other way to explain it. Worn dies after many strikes chip away at certain points especially with the numerals and leave Die Chips. It may look like a 9 over an 8 but it is not.

Amos 811 likes this.
  9. Jake Barone

Jake Barone New Member

Okay thank you

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I most of the time just use my phone. Sometimes I shoot a picture through my loupe. Others here have much fancier set ups but I find that for most things it is unnecessary.

Jake Barone likes this.
  11. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

In today's technology the date is engraved into the die. In the old system the die was made with no date. The date was hand stamped in with a punch of that years date as the last step of the process. Some existing dated dies were modified for another year by punching over the existing date with a new or altered punch.

Jake Barone likes this.
  12. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Dont listen to these guys, I say slab it, you're rich!

Jake Barone likes this.
  13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hi Jake - as our fellow enthusiasts point out, your anomaly is likely the result of a chip in the die. The area around/in-between devices are historically weak points in the die and after repeat use, it can chip/break. The 50's were notorious for chips and breaks since the dies were used past the point of exhaustion. Most chips aren't of any particular value. In fact, most collectors will find them to be a distraction and pass on buying coins with that condition. However, a small group of collectors find interest in them and for some particular chips (for certain dates), there is broader collectability (e.g., BIE cents).

Jake Barone, Hoky77 and Amos 811 like this.
  14. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

yea, im just kidding btw....If you ever come back.

Jake Barone likes this.
  15. paddyman98

You're crazy :wacky:

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Every time someone thinks they've found something, but the members disagree, they always think it is the fault of the camera. Different photos won't make a difference.

FYI, the current technology that Mr. P. referred to is called a CNC machine which cuts the date into the master hub.

Chris

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Don't do this

Amos 811, Jake Barone and Evan Saltis like this.
  18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

When was the last over date? 1942/41 dime is what comes to mind.
    Have there been any since then?

19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1943/2 war nickel.

Michael K likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes I just realized that.
    But is that the most recent/ last one?

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like a die chip on the 8. It could also be a plating blister but I'm leaning to the die chip. It adds no value.

Welcome to CT.

Jake Barone likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted