2017A Series

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Legomaster1, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I’ve noticed (on the Star Note Lookup, and uspapermoney.info) that a 2017A series of banknotes has been released. Has anyone received one of these notes yet? If you happen to see one, please post it here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

They’ve been printing series 2017A notes since April ($20) with the “P” prefix and I’ve yet to see any in circulation or eBay.

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

This has been the big talk of the town on the Where's George forum. This is largely due to the fact no one knows why this series exists and why it has abruptly rolled out on every denomination except the $50 note.

There are theories, however. Examples include the Treasurer having been replaced but it not being announced or for the composition of the linen/cotton "paper" mix being changed due to an unprecedented change in supplier.

Until someone actually finds an example the mystery will persist. Being that it often takes new currency up to a year to make an appearance it could be a while before one is seen. Considering the first 2017A notes were printed in April, I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds an example within the next few months, however.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will for sure be on the look out, thanks for the tip :)

6. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Anyone find out anything on this? I was just looking a some $20s and noticed the 2017A. I don't see any difference from the 2017. Signatures are the same.
    100_3969.JPG

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes. The BEP attempted to brush off inquiries into the matter and give non-answers when asked. It took the filing of a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get the BEP to give some semblance of an answer. A heavily redacted document was released but within the document it was revealed the BEP changed the source of the ink used to another vendor.

So there you have it: ink from a new supplier. The BEP did not want to mix the ink used from the old supplier with the new one. This was essentially an internal matter that need not have involved the public by abruptly ceasing production of a series and starting up a new one. Instead, the BEP caused widespread confusion that resulted in endless unanswered inquiries from the public.

It is the most redundant and arbitrary series change in the history of the BEP. Never before has a series changed without there being some kind of apparent difference on a note whether it be the enlargement of plate numbers, signature change, or design change, etc.

8. SteveInTampa

Good to know @NOS, thanks for sharing.

9. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Are we talking about "ANY" 2017-A notes? I've come across a lot of $1 2017 Star Notes (B Series/New York), even saved a few but they didn't appear to be from a Low-Print Run so I've stopped keeping them when I find them.

I see them on ebay too so not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question

10. SteveInTampa

I believe the question was, why was there a series change from 2017 to 2017A without a signature or design change.

On the other end of the spectrum is the series 2006 $5 FRNs. The BEP introduced the newly designed, colorized $5 notes and didn’t change the series. Both of these notes are series 2006…

6C08D2D6-D74F-4027-9B59-48668D07A353.jpeg 26F56063-E1E1-4E4C-BC02-59F9D364F8A2.jpeg

capthank and masterswimmer like this.
  11. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Only the design changed. The lower is the "Old" design. The upper one is the "new" design. If a "Treasurer" or the "Secretary of the Treasury" changes, then the series date and or letter changes.

12. SteveInTampa

You got that backwards @Searcher64. The upper note is the Old design and the lower note is the New “colorized” design.

Hookman likes this.
  13. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Have not seen any yet in general circulation, but I picked up this error star note up recently.

FB2E0749-A3DC-4E75-BF6B-60DD70B01FCF.jpeg D1E4C688-11DD-499D-B553-AF1E35F671A5.jpeg

14. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I was referring to the series changes as to the year. Series 1928 was the first series of modern, small-sized notes issued. Since then, the series year has been changed when there is a major design change to a bill; a minor design change is indicated by a letter suffix being added to the series year. Major design changes were rare until 1974, when William E. Simon became Secretary of the Treasury. Before 1974, a change to either the signature of the Secretary of the Treasury or the Treasurer was considered a minor change; after 1974, a new Secretary of the Treasury was considered a major change. (The only exception to this was in 1979, G. William Miller's signature appeared on Series 1977A instead of Series 1979.) A change in Treasurer is still considered a minor change. The 2017A series apparently was due to a minor change in production, possibly of the ink used.[1] Changes in design, such as the recent changes to the $20 bill to deter counterfeiting, are still considered major changes.

15. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Somehow, I am only posting once, but when I go in to look at my post it's doubled or more???? I know not why.

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Dunno. But I deleted the dupe posts. Both your original post and the secondary comment quoted above got posted twice, somehow.

17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  18. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

19. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I would say not many. They now print 50 to a sheet. When printing, if a jam or a missed pickups can cause such. For a very long time ago I was a printer in the handset type, offset, and later linotype before going into the Military.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It got the H4 position too.
    s-l400 (1).jpg

21. AustinJ0324

AustinJ0324 Well-Known Member

Whoa nice scores on the error notes. How did you guys get those?

Draft saved Draft deleted