2017 San Francisco ase

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Even though you make good points, I'm not buying it. Yeah, a limited edition is nice, in this case 75,000 people could own one, rather than a few large dealers grabbing thousands of them, because there were no ordering limits. Many more people would be happy, so a few large vulture capitalists would have to look for ways that may actually benefit our country to make a profit.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

If collectors bought them up, more people would keep them instead of flipping them. So when the big boys flip them for a profit, they pay taxes on that profit, which benefits the country more than when small collectors just buy and hold and don't pay taxes. So really, greedy capitalism helps the country here, right?

4. statequarterguy

They'd pay taxes on profits from others sources as well. Unfortunately, we've become a country that doesn't produce much, we specialize in hoarding what someone needs/wants, a coin, a house, most commodities. So no, the really greedy don't ad anything to a HEALTHY economy that grows due to innovation.

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And the small capitalist vultures too! Everyone has a shot and could enter whatever number they could afford on speculation. I only got 4 and 2 were for a friend. If I was sure it would be a guaranteed quick double I would have grabbed 10 more and many others would have to. The big guys could buy a bunch because they could write off losses if it was a dud or break even. This is capitalism at it's finest and it's a beautiful thing.

jwitten likes this.
  6. jwitten

Sure, they pay taxes on other sources as well. BUT they also did on these. Do you think they limit themselves to just these? No, they buy and sell as much as they can, INCLUDING these. So really, its added tax dollars to our country. The more you buy and sell (and profit), the more taxes you pay. If we tell them to stop profiting, they will stop paying taxes.

7. statequarterguy

I repeat. So no, the really greedy don't ad anything to a HEALTHY economy that grows due to innovation.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Didn't some greedy capitalist pay 32 million dollars in taxes in 2005. Boy, he and those like him are the devil aren't they ;)

9. statequarterguy

I'd say capitalism at its worst.

10. jwitten

So only innovation makes a healthy economy? I guess that means coins are pretty much dead.

11. statequarterguy

Let's not drag political figures into this. Plenty could be said on both sides, but not here.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Who's talking politics? I'm talking capitalism.

13. statequarterguy

Figure it out, even though it's discussed in economics, it's common sense.

14. statequarterguy

Right.

15. jwitten

All I'm saying is more is added to our economy by capitalist buying to resell than collectors buying to hold. Is more required to make a healthy economy? Sure! But that doesn't mean this type of thing doesn't help.

baseball21 likes this.
  16. statequarterguy

It hurts the economy because those dollars could have gone into something constructive and taxes paid on the profits.

17. jwitten

Huh? The companies who bought these can still use the money they invested... PLUS more money now, to go into something "constructive". The money did not disappear when they bought the coins.

18. jwitten

I don't understand your answer at all honestly. What is something "constructive"? Buying coins is not. So by your definition, when we buy coins from the mint, and they (the government) makes a profit on that, does that hurt the economy?

baseball21 likes this.
  19. statequarterguy

Huh? So, these companies are only going to waste one round of dollars on non-constructive investments, then funnel their dollars into something constructive. C'mon, they're pros at it, it's what they do.

Unfortunately, it's what too many do and unfortunately it's what is allowed. No matter how you try to splain it, it's a waste.

20. statequarterguy

I think you understand, go back and reread, I can't say it any clearer.

I think you'll say most anything to justify this activity because you want to feel good about what you and many do, so won't accept there's many downsides to it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  21. statequarterguy

Yes, it would be hard to believe, but it wouldn't be the first time corruption was found in a government agency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.