2017 P Doubled Ear Penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bettann, Jan 27, 2018.

1. bettann

bettann Member

I got a new box of pennies from the bank, and all the rolls are sealed 2017 P's.
    My magnifier light glares off of the new penny surfaces, especially when I'm looking at the date and lettering. It makes all of them look like double dies, it can make the doubles look profound in some cases. I've found a few that look like doubling in the ear. Here's some pictures from a 2017 P penny. The first one is a doubled ear...(I think...probably wrong.) The date and letters, I think could just be strike doubling. what say you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I just found like 5 of these i thonk were on to something 20180126_200230.jpg

bettann likes this.
  4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Does your coin have polish lines all over

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Remember.. The correct numismatic terminology is Doubled Die. double die is incorrect :yack:

bettann likes this.
  6. bettann

bettann Member

Yes, I think so. I found two so far, one is a little stronger. I also found a shield cud.

[​IMG]

7. bettann

bettann Member

LOL thank you paddyman98, I will remember that from now forward. :)

spirityoda and paddyman98 like this.
  8. bettann

bettann Member

This one is less pronounced. The reverse has a cud on the shield, at least I think it's a cud...could be damage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

cuds have to do with the rim of the coin, what you have is an interior die break.
    By the way, if you didn't say that was an ear in your photos. I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking at. Sharper photos would help. even full size would be better.

bettann likes this.
  10. bettann

bettann Member

Thank you for that info, "interior die break." Now I'll be able to tell the difference between cuds and die breaks.

I got a microscope/magnifier with a built in light. I can scan bigger pictures, but my scanner leaves the pictures looking pixelated. The microscope only focuses on a small area and I snap the pictures though it. Sorry it wasn't clearer. I'll remember to mention what the picture is next time. :)

Thanks again.

11. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

@Fred Weinberg please take a look at pic 1 & 2. I think we have 2017 P doubled ear. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!!

bettann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted