2017- my ten coin year in review (British Anglo-Saxon coins)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nap, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Another year done, again I've been fortunate to add some more coins to the old collection. Some are upgrades, some are new for me. It's nice to reflect, sit back, and enjoy the hobby we are priveleged to participate. I do enjoy reading others' threads, and as I have for the past few years, I'll post my top 10 as well.

As some of you know, my main interest is coinage from Anglo-Saxon England, a period which runs from the mid 7th century to the mid 11th. The study of this period is, at least to me, a fascinating glimpse into a dimly lit time period. Despite the poor remnants of documentation, some parts of the times have drifted into our modern consciousness: Beowulf and Grendel, Lady Godiva and Peeping Tom, marauding Vikings, Alfred the Great, Venerable Bede, illuminated manuscripts such as the Lindisfarne Gospels, the treasures of Sutton Hoo and Staffordshire, Offa's dyke, and of course the origins of the English language itself.

On to the coins! In chronologic order:

pada-thrymsa-1.jpg
    Thrymsa, approximately 655-675
    Monarch: unknown, possible Eorcenberht, Ecgberht I, or Hlothere
    Mint: unknown, probably Kent
    S.770
    O: TNAVG ANG
    R: PADA(in runic) ANVSPFAN

Likely Kentish transitional pale gold thrymsa of the mid-late 7th century. Debasement of gold coinage took place during the production of several gold shillings or "thrymsas", culminating in a coinage that was mostly silver. These thrymsas predate the sceatta coinage.
    Strong resemblance to old Roman coins, as with many of the early "Dark Age" coinage. Here, the coin spells out "Pada-anvs" with PADA in runic. Copied from something like GRATIANVS, with a change to show its unique Anglo-Saxon flair. Pada was almost certainly the moneyer, and not a king or warlord.

series-c-1a.jpg
    Sceatta of probably Kentish origin
    S.779
    O: Radiate bust right, APA in runes
    R: Degenerated standard with TOTII
    A "primary phase" sceat, probably dating from ~710 featuring a head and the letters spelling Apa, possibly a moneyer. Probably from Kent.
    The quality of the artistry during the primary phase decreased as time progressed. The reverse "standard" is derived from old Roman coins.

eadberht-6a.jpg
    Sceat of Eadberht, king of Northumbria 737-758
    Mint: York (presumably)
    S. 847B
    O: EOTBEREhTVſ.
    R: Fantastic animal facing left
    One of the earliest English kings to issue coins, Eadberht's coinage features what is called a "fantastic animal" which is something of a heraldic horse-dragon that must have had some meaning for the dynasty of Northumbria. This creature would feature on later coins of his successors as well.

alchred-ecgberht-2a.jpg
    Sceat of Alchred, king of Northumbria 765-774 with Ecgberht, archbishop of York
    S. 854
    O: +AL.hHRDh (retrograde)
    R: EGBERhT AR
    Produced in the last year of Archbishop Ecgberht's life, who died shortly into Alchred's reign. Ecgberht produced coins with Eadberht, Aethelwald Moll, and Alchred. He was a contemporary and friend of Venerable Bede, who in a surviving letter laments the fact that he's too ill to visit him (given the times and the fact that Bede died shortly after, this is probably not one of those convenient excuses).

aethelred-i-ceolbald-3a.jpg
    Sceat of Aethelred I, king of Northumbria, second reign 789-796
    Moneyer: Ceolbald
    S. 856
    O: +AEDILRED ℞
    R: +CEOLBĀLD
    Aethelred saw the coinage of Northumbria transition from the animal design sceattas to the still silver styca-type, with nothing more than a king named on one side, and a moneyer on the other. There was no interesting artisty and the coins are awfully boring to see, though the simplicity helps make them quite easy to identify.
    Ceolbald was Aethelred I's most prolific moneyer. His coins feature some interesting designs in the central motifs, like the ℞ on this issue.

aethelred-ii-double-obverse-1.jpg
    Styca of Aethelred II, king of Northumbria (first reign) 841-844
    Moneyer: Unknown
    S. 865
    O: +EDILRED RE
    R: +EDILRED RE
    Eanred's son Aethelred reigned for 8 years following his father's death, with an interruption in 844 when Redwulf took over. Redwulf died fighting the Vikings that same year, and Aethelred was reinstated.
    Double reverse coins are uncommon in the styca series, but do occasionally pop up. On the other hand, double obverse coins are relatively rare. This particular coin is of good style, meaning it was probably made from official dies rather than a later imitative type belonging to the chaotic irregular coins of the late 850s.

osberht-winiberht-2.jpg
    Styca of Osberht, king of Northumbria 849-867
    Moneyer: Winiberht
    S. 869
    O: OSBERCHT RE
    R: VINIBERHT
    Osberht was the last king of an independent Northumbria. He was preoccupied with fighting a rival, Aella, when the Vikings arrived in his kingdom with a huge army, intent on conquest and not just plunder. Reportedly Osberht and Aella set aside their differences, and joined in battle together in the last desperate stand against the invaders. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't enough, and reportedly both were killed in the battle. Osberht is the last king to mint stycas (coins are not known for Aella).
    Overall the style of the latest stycas deteriorates from previous generations, and a coin like this, though crude, is actually a reasonable example

st-peter-1.jpg
    Viking penny in the name of St. Peter of York ca. 910-920
    Moneyer: unknown
    Mint: probably York
    S.1006 (var.)
    O: ZCIIIT R, tree and key symbols
    R: +B.RACEC
    This a rare variant of the "swordless" St. Peter coinage, with a blundered version of "Sancti Petri" in one line, instead of the usual two lines. Viking coinage in York began at around the start of the 10th century with a coinage in the names of Cnut and Siefred, a probably short-lived coinage but one which survives in great numbers due to the Cuerdale hoard. Subsequently, an anonymous coinage in the name of St. Peter follows, of which this coin is probably a late type. After the St. Peter coinage there was an inscribed coinage in the names of Ragnald and Sihtric Caech, Hiberno-Norse kings from Ireland who conquered Northumbria. A subsequent anonymous second coinage in 920s in the name of St. Peter features a sword (probably the Sword of Carlus, a 9th century Irish Viking hero), and Thor's hammer. The Vikings wrangled with the kings of Wessex throughout the 10th century until king Eadred of England brought Northumbria into the English fold. Viking coinage continued, mostly in the name of the kings of York, until the mid 10th century, culminating with Eric Bloodaxe. All Viking coinage from York is rare, but the Cnut, Siefred, and St. Peter coinages are the most common, due to their survival in several large hoards. The one-line St. Peter coins make up a rare subset of the earlier swordless type. There are only a handful known, and they all feature symbols, including the tree, the key (St. Peter's key to heaven), a candelabra, a star or propeller, and a large cross.

aethelstan-godfred-1.jpg
    Penny of Aethelstan, king of Wessex, 924-939
    Moneyer: Godfred
    North East mint
    S. 1089
    O: +AEDELSTAN REX
    R: GOFD +++ RED Mo
    Aethelstan, with the sobriquet "the Glorious" consolidated power in the former heptarchy, and can probably be considered the first king of England.

eadred-1.jpg
    Penny of Eadred, king of England 946-955
    Moneyer: Wilbeorht
    Mint: unknown (possibly Norwich)
    S. 1115
    O: crowned bust, +EADRED RENE
    R: AAILEBERT MONETA
    A portrait penny of King Eadred. Eadred's reign was marked by conflict with the Vikings in Northumbria, and their adventurous leader Eric Bloodaxe. By the end of Eadred's reign however, Northumbria was brought into the English fold.

Ed Snible, seth77, CircCam and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Fantastic coins Nap! I had been looking into contemporaries of Bede myself, so i'm impressed by the Alchred.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Excellent post! I really enjoyed your writeup of those coins. That collection is great. These coins bring to mind the Anglo-Saxon language and literature course I took during my first university degree. I very much enjoyed reading the Wanderer, the seafarer, the dream of the rood, the Battle of Maldon, and of course Beowulf.

I will admit that I am most intrigued by your coin of Eadred.

Here is the closest I have to that very interesting yet elusive period of history. King Cnut. I really like the artistry of the obverses during this period.
    CNUT new.jpg

5. alde

alde Always Learning

Anglo Saxon Sceat Series C circa 750 AD.jpg Aethelred II S 1151.jpg Cnut S 1159.jpg Edward the Confessor S 1176.jpg Thats quite a group of Anglo Saxon coins. Very impressive. I especially like S-847B.

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Those coins are just fantastic, just recently visiting the UK I have a fascination of their early coinage, so like them all but that Sceat of Eadberht is just perfect.

sidestick and Curtisimo like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very neat coins!

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Those are fantastic pieces of History !
    That Sceat of Eadberht's fantastic animal is fantastic !

Q

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great "Dark Age" stuff!

This one is my clear favorite. The "fantastic animal" is indeed... fantastic. In every sense of the word. Based on the prior responses, you seem to have a crowd-pleaser here.

[​IMG]

I would welcome that one in my collection, with open arms.

Though relatively primitive coins have not always been my cup o' tea, I'm warming to them considerably these days, particularly when they come from such interesting times and places.

This is why I don't object to the term "Dark Ages", though it has fallen out of favor with scholars and academics. To me, it implies not so much the darkness of ignorance in the pejorative sense, but more "dark" as in mysterious. And intriguingly mysterious historical relics are wonderful.

No exceptions here.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

11. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

A very nice selection.

12. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Those are some wonderful coins @Nap
    I love the Viking penny of York and the penny of Aethelstan. Your coins are are real treat to behold.

@Orfew an Anglo-Saxon language and literature course sounds like a great time.

13. greekandromancoins

greekandromancoins Well-Known Member

Interesting coins and write up - thank you for sharing!

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'd take all of them :D. All lovely coins!

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done @Nap ! Every time I see those Anglo-Saxon type of coins, I have to agree with @lordmarcovan , that it was an extremely mysterious time in history. We all talk about the migrations and invasions of the Saxons, but not much depth in those times. (Hey @FitzNigel , I have not said the "D" word! LOL )

I have nothing to truly offer up. Have been casually looking for Saxon/Dane coins, but no triggers pulled...

How about one that was struck from the area that is almost 1000 years later!

England Elizabeth I AR 3 Pence 1566 Her bust l rose shield 19 mm G.JPG
    England Elizabeth I AR 3 Pence 1566 Her bust l rose shield 19 mm G

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  16. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

A remarkable treasure-hoard! In its honor, here's a recently discovered, previously unknown fragment of Beowulf, recording the Geatish hero's legendary bar-fight.

Picture1.jpg

17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Funny. Thanks for posting that I really enjoyed it.

It reminds me of these lines from Chaucer several centuries later

To reden on this cursed book al nyght,
    Al sodeynly thre leves have I plyght
    Out of his book, right as he radde, and eke
    I with my fest so took hym on the cheke
    That in oure fyr he fil bakward .
    And he up stirte as dooth a wood leoun,
    And with his fest he smoot me on the heed,
    That in the floor I lay as I were deed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Curtisimo and Severus Alexander like this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

This is the most hillarious thing I have read in ages. Thank you. Where is it from?

Severus Alexander likes this.
  19. Gavin Richardson

FitzNigel likes this.
  20. Gavin Richardson

Yes. The Wife of Bath is tired of hearing her latest boy-toy Jankyn read tales from his misogynistic florilegium, his "Boke of Wikked Wyves." It's a bit of a chilling depiction of domestic violence amid an otherwise amusing prologue. But when I have students try to make manuscript quires using medieval methods, they appreciate how labor-intensive the production is, and they better understand (though not condone) Jankyn's violence when the Wife rips pages from his book.

Orfew likes this.
  21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What an awesome group! Though I'm a generalist collector, I'm particularly fascinated by Anglo-Saxon coins and could easily get sucked in to getting a lot more... except for the cost! I would love to get a thrymsa though I can't hope to own such a nice one, and an Alchred/Ecgberht seems to be awfully pricy too. However I have added an Osberht to my "must have" list, much more affordable. Do you have an Alfred?

Here's my newest relevant acquisition which I like a lot, but which I haven't researched much yet. All I have at the moment is that it is from a mint in the Kent/North Thames area around 700-710. Any further info you can offer would be gratefully received!
    Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 11.34.47 AM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted