2017 Fredrick Douglas

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eric6794, Jul 23, 2017.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Hey I just wanted to share this Fredrick Douglass quarter and see what everyone's opinion is on it. I have found a few that look like it by searching google and everyone is saying MD I agree but everything I have read said the coin has raised lines but this coin has recessed line on the G and the 2 SS on Douglass. I do not fully understand the concept of MD on recessed coins so what are your all thoughts. doug1.jpg

FireFighterRyan37 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Perhaps a strike through ?

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Very interesting!...
    glass.JPG

eric6794 likes this.
  5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Agreed very interesting indeed. This could be something. I'm going to go out on a limb and say doubled die. You should consider sending this to Wexler.

eric6794 likes this.
  6. trussell

trussell Active Member

I hear that he is doing a great job.

JMGallego likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I don't understand this either, I have shown quite a few with recessed double dates, etc. The answer I have gotten was MD, someone here has a reference to why they are deemed MD. Although the experts say that it could be possible but not likely.

eric6794 likes this.
  8. JMGallego

JMGallego Active Member

Yes, very interesting! From what mint is it?

eric6794 likes this.
  9. eric6794

Philadelphia, Sorry for not posting the entire coin I usually do but I was in a hurry last night and this coin was perplexing me lol. I'll post full pic when I get home later.

10. eric6794

Here are a few more pics including 2 under incandescent lighting doug2.jpg doug3.jpg doug4.jpg doug5.jpg doug6.jpg doug7.jpg doug8.jpg

11. eric6794

the first coin I posted came from a roll at work. I bought a couple more rolls and found these as well. dg!.jpg dg1.jpg dg3.jpg dg5.jpg dg7.jpg fred2.jpg dg9.jpg

12. Pickin and Grinin

Looking at your last Photos, I do believe they are looking like MD. There is definitely a push in one direction.
    Just to let You know, I keep the ones that have full separation.
    Some one on this Forum knows the definition.

eric6794 and jay4202472000 like this.
  13. eric6794

They do have the signs of MD but I think there is still something else going on with them but I defiantly dont know enough about recessed coinage to be sure. I think I will send in the first coin to Mr. Wexler to see what he thinks and if it is MD im only out $10 or so bucks. I will still keep them because I think they look cool.

SorenCoins and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  14. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Let us know what the followup is.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  15. eric6794

I will, Im going to send it out Monday

16. JMGallego

JMGallego Active Member

Any updates?

17. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Yea what did you hear?

18. eric6794

Wow this is kind of embarrassing but there was a lot that came up around that time and I put it and another coin I was going to send in in a padded envelope had it all ready to send in and then got distracted and it is still sitting on my dresser forgotten but thanks for reminding me I'll mail it out in the morning. Woops lol.

19. eric6794

Well sadly this is a form of incuse machine doubling :( But hey I like this type of machine doubling it's a heck of alot better than the true doubling that is on modern U.S coins :D

20. eric6794

There was a post on fb variety page of a coin similar to mine Mike Diamond responded and said he was going to do a write up about coins like these on Coin World this week I can't wait to read it.

21. Pickin and Grinin

being that all the lettering on these type of quarters are incuse, hopefully he can elaborate on what an actual Doubled Die might look like. I haven't subscribed to coin world do you have the online publication? If so could you post it here?

Draft saved Draft deleted