2017 F.U.N. Convention.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by saltysam-1, Nov 2, 2016.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Not too many campgrounds in South Florida unless you like sleeping with the Gators, Boas, Rattlers, Coral snakes, Scorpions, Black Widows, Panthers, Fire Ants, and disease carrying Mosquitos.

When my Sister came down to visit me for the first time back in 1991 she was shocked to find a scorpion running around in the bath tub. Welcome to the tropics!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Always tap your shoes upside down before putting them on. Especially if you have ground floor accommodations.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I knew I had a reason for wanting to live where it's cold. :)

At least it's not Australia, where everything that breathes wants to kill you.

ldhair likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Parts of Chicago are like that, too.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

OFF-TOPIC

Back in the 90's, a friend and I played in as many Florida 9-Ball Tour events as possible, and we always shared a hotel room to save on expenses. One such event was at Jillian's in the Kendall subdivision west of Miami. There was a nice hotel (can't remember the name) right across the parking lot of the poolroom, and I made our reservation several weeks in advance. Knowing that we would be playing in a lot of the mini-tournaments on Friday night, I made it a point to tell the reservationist that we would be checking in very late Friday night.

Well, when we went to check in, we were informed that they had given our room to someone else, and they were sold out. So, we had to drive closer to Miami to look for a room. So many of the hotels and motels were full, but we finally found one with a "Vacancy" sign. We thought it was strange when we had to knock on a solid wood door and someone opened a small opening covered by bars. We were told that the rate was $10 per hour.

We did finally find a room, but we had a hard time understanding Spanish.

Chris

7. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I'd rather sleep in my car compared to the fleabag smelly motels. Going to coin conventions I have stayed in motels, hostels and campgrounds. If you spend $80-$100 or more a night, that is a lot of money for a short stay. In Europe there are low cost hostels and other cheap accommodations, clean, sociable and inexpensive, human scale.

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Short timers:
    With less than four days to go before departure. I'm beginning to pack and organize some coins to take with for selling. When I was out-processing from the military, they referred to you as a short timer when you had less than a week remaining on your commitment. The mid-west appears to be heading for another arctic blast. Can we all say 70+? :>)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted