2017 Ellis Island Quarters Abnormalities

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by TexAg, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Found these 2 yesterday and they both have identical, multiple abnormalities on the obverse at approximately the 1, 7, 9, & 11 o'clock positions. The areas in question are in the field of the coin and are marked in my pictures. They are rough in texture compared to the rest of the field. When I saw the first one, I thought perhaps a strike through. But when I found the 2nd coin with identical issues I decided to post and ask your opinions. Maybe the planchets were damaged prior to the die strike? Thanks for looking.
    P1010914.JPG P1010915.JPG P1010917.JPG
    P1010918.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

grease blocks

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Forgot a pic of reverse!
    P1010911.JPG

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They were probably struck from the same Die which had started to become Deteriorated. Not a Planchet Error.

And they both look like they are Slightly Misaligned Die Strikes.

6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Yes that is die damage from prolonged use.

TexAg likes this.
  7. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Found a 3rd Ellis Island quarter from the same batch of coins with just the abnormality at the 7 o'clock position. Maybe this 3rd coins was struck before the other two with less die deterioration?
    P1010923.JPG P1010925.JPG
    P1010924.JPG

The last photo is taken with my camera truly perpendicular to rule out angle of camera on previous photos and its influence on Slightly Misaligned Die strikes. It does appear to be a slightly wider rim on south end of coin.
    P1010927.JPG

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Lester Maddox

Lester Maddox Member

Hey TexAg,

I will go out on a limb and guess that you are finding these Ellis Island in coin rolls, but are they from the mint or your local bank? Just curious, I have not seen any Ellis Island quarters in general circulation, at least not in Missouri. Even though they were released 28-Aug-2017. Just wondering how long I have to wait before I start seeing them.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  9. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Hi Lester. I actually bought them from a local thrift store where I know the cashiers. First ones I have seen, likely a customer got them from the bank and spent them, but I really don't know for sure. I also found a 4th that had no die deterioration which I thought was interesting......

10. Ed Hesse

Ed Hesse Member

Lester shouldn't be long my friend
    I have 4 uncracked P rolls already in SE Virginia.

11. Lester Maddox

Lester Maddox Member

I am glad you remembered me. Thanks.

You do realize what will happen if you help me out? It will be like that stray dog, that you feel sorry for and give him a bowl of food. He never leaves.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. Lester Maddox

Lester Maddox Member

Were you looking for the Denver mint counterparts? I have Ozarks, but have not seen any Ellis Island D as of yet. I have not been working very hard at it,

13. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

It's now October 27 and the only one of this year's quarters I've come across so far up until now here in Eastern Massachusetts are the Effigy Mounds, and they're from February 6. Go figure. o_O

Stevearino likes this.
  14. sacdollar

sacdollar ASE Lover

I don't see a thing wrong with the pictures posted on this thread.

15. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

The only thing I can spot is possibly a kind of a washout effect that may be the result of a strong cleaner or chemical abrasive having somehow come into contact with these coins. Just guessing. :watching:

16. dan d.

dan d. New Member

anyone seen the date stamp 2027 instead of 2017? my coin looks as if 2027 was stamped first then 2017 was stamped over it ...

17. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk @dan d. Can you post some pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coin as well as some crisp closeups of the date?

18. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

20190127_142836-1.jpg 20190127_143640.jpg
    Are you and @paddyman98 sure about it being die wear? The reason I ask is because looking at this phenomenon under magnification the rough areas appear to be incuse below the original surface of the coin, whereas if it were die wear wouldn't these areas be raised on the coin?

SorenCoins likes this.
  19. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I think you're right to bring that up. I now actually think it's probably a struck through oil/grit.

20. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

However, in my original post, the 2 coins I pictured had identical abnormalities. Hard to believe that both could be struck through as I wouldn't expect the problem to be repeated identically. Could there have been corrosion or rust buildup on the obverse die which caused the incuse into the coin? I have seen this on other coins as well, though not that common.

21. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

I see it on newer state and park quarters more than anything. If it were rusty dies I would think the rust would get lodged into the coin occasionally. I have been curious about these marks for awhile.

SorenCoins and TexAg like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted