2017 D Penny - obv weak strike or die adjustment?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jcpenny, Mar 18, 2018.

1. jcpenny

jcpenny Member

Thanks for looking!,.. Can't find anything related to this type of error, I found it today in a bank roll, what are the chances in ~4.5B mintage.

Thank you all for your feedback. IMG_5186.jpg IMG_5187.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    paddyman98 and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Oldhoopster and jcpenny like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Very cool find!

jcpenny likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on the weak strike. It doesn't have the hallmarks of a weak strike like @gronnh20 stated. That being said, it's really cool :)

jcpenny likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

jcpenny likes this.
  7. jcpenny

jcpenny Member

I looked on the link, and as for the descriptions I believe is a "die adjustment", because in a 'struck through grease' is more irregular shape and not even balance like DA,... What do you think?
    Thanks

8. furryfrog02

No. If you look at the "die adjustment" you will see that there is weakness on both sides of the coin.

jcpenny likes this.
  9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Struck through grease. Because, of the rim. The rim on your coin is showing a misaligned die strike. See how the rim is larger on one side. When the blank went through the upset mill it would have put a rim on the coin. That rim would be beveled on the inside of the rim and the same width all the way around the coin. When the die strikes the coin a more vertical rim is formed. Your coins die was misaligned in the horizontal axis. Meaning side to side. Your rim is not what comes from the upset mill. Your planchet took a full strike.

If you read the reference on die adjustment then you would see the author does not believe collectors will see the coins that were produced during the adjustment of the die(s). When the press operator is adjusting the die(s) the coins that are struck are discarded to be melted later. That is why the author doesn't believe coins have die adjustment errors. Not that there are not nefarious acts from the mint, this is just not one of them.

jcpenny likes this.
  10. jcpenny

jcpenny Member

I does makes sense, about the adjustment, because they will have to grab the coin to verify the amount of pressure and will discard the coin later.

Thanks you all, Its already stored in a 2x2 for the moment.

11. jcpenny

jcpenny Member

Correctomundo

12. Randy5555

Randy5555 New Member

I have found 3 now.. they are called "die adjustment strikes" just found a place that describes them.. some people in here were telling me it's a damaged coin that was done by humans ..lol hard to believe .. anyway it is an error .. look up die adjustment strikes...

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I did and this the best I could find : Die adjustment strikes, as the name implies, are used to set the distance and the pressure of the dies to the planchet. In this stage of operation, there can be a noticeable lack of detail to the coin. This lack of detail will prevent the coin from being eligible for grading, although it can be readily and accurately attributed. The edge of a die adjustment strike will be either weak or missing. This is an important difference from a struck thru which has full edge detail.
    From NGC : Adjustment Strikes, Struck Thrus and Other Mint Errors | NGC (ngccoin.com)

14. furryfrog02

Resurrected a 3 year old thread. And the coin in question is still NOT a die adjustment strike.
    Read the info and look at the pictures in the link you posted @SensibleSal66 . Die adjustment strikes affect both sides of the coin. Not just one like in OP's coin.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted