2017 D Penny. Might this be a double earlobe?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RBurk, Apr 28, 2021.

1. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

First, no I don't expect it to be worth anything. Just looks like a possible double earlobe to me but I'm unable to find a listing. Your thoughts are appreciated.

WIN_20210428_15_19_03_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210428_15_19_28_Pro.jpg WIN_20210428_15_20_02_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

4. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

5. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Well... please see https://doubleddie.com/2516900.html. It is a 2017D double earlobe but it looks nothing like this one.

6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

If its that tiny not worth it you'll unscrewe your eyeballs looking for it.

7. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Thanks, but as I said, I'm not looking for valuable and I do know it's tiny, just opinions as to if it is or is not doubling. Overall, it may be about the same size as the doubledie.com listed version.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No it’s not doubling of any sort. It’s just a slight buildup of the copper coating.

9. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Thanks CN. Would you mind telling me how you can see that? Just for my learning purposes.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nothing is doubled. The planchet is zinc, which is terrible for coins. And with zinc cents being around since mid 1982 to date it shows. The zinc cents have a very thin layer of copper coating. All kinds of plating issues exist. You can see a lot of them on CT if you stay tuned in. Linear plating blisters, bubbles, and what your coin shows. In a number of cases a blister or bubble will pop and then the coin starts it’s next phase, zinc rot.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Actually since the single squeeze method for producing dies has been used. It is more common to have doubling on the central devices, and only on the central devices. This is the reason for so many doubled fingers on the formative years Lincoln cent reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted