2017-D New Jersey Ellis Island Improper Annealing

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Learned something today. It always seems whenever you start thinking that you really know a subject, something ALWAYS comes along to keep you humble

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

What is the trick for imprperly annealed nickels that have no reeding applied in the striking chamber besides having Mint luster?

SlipperySocks likes this.
  4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Joe, can you restate your question?

Not sure what you're asking.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I think he's asking if the rim will look different, then the fields .
    Like on reeded coins .

6. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Sure. You mentioned a nice trick is to look at the reeding on dimes, quarters, half-dollars, SBAs, and Eisenhower dollars as evidence if they are truly improperly annealed coins.

So my question was, what about other coins that don't have reeding? For example are the rims any help when checking to see if a nickel is improperly annealed?

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Nickels, or Sac. & Presidential Dollars have no reeding.

The edges of those coins, on genuine Mis-Annealed planchets,
    would not have the same color on the edges, because as
    the coin is ejected from the collar, that action would 'scrape'
    (for lack of a better term) the color off the edge of the coin,
    like it does on the reeding and the recessed areas of the reeding,
    on those reeded edge coins.

The 'tint' will still be on the edge to a degree, but it's fairly easy
    to differentiate.

It's not the rims, but the edges, that can be checked for the error.

All envirornmentally damaged, and plated on purpose coins will
    have the same color on the edge (reeded or plain) that the surfaces
    have.

Hope this helps...

8. Rick Stachowski

That would be the flange area ...

9. Theo Liotsakis

Theo Liotsakis New Member

Hi. Not sure if this thread is still active but I have a 2018 Minnesota Voyageues coin that I think is Improper Annealed. I've been to a few different threads and they all said to ask Fred Weinberg about this. I've attached some photos below. If somebody could look at them and verify that the coin is Improper Annealed that would be great! Thanks. (photos below)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I see some toning also ground and dirt contact,still a quarter though keep looking.

11. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

I hate to revive such an old thread, But this subject was brought up on 'another forum' and this thread was referenced.
    So, I see that the original coin that was presented here and talked about by Fred was a Copper core, CuNi cladded coin. I'm wondering if this will (in ref to the edge getting shiny again upon ejection), relate to early nickels.
    I'll try to quote from that other place here.
    and my reply to it:
    I'll post up my nickel. First set are straight on, next on a slight angle to show luster, then a comparison and finally the edge of the coin.
    BB1.jpg BB2.jpg BB4.jpg BB5.jpg BB3.jpg BB edge.jpg

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

@Dearborn.... so what's the question? All black beauties are also dark on the edge, it's not impressed like reeded edges are on quarters or dimes there's less friction on nickels so the collar is more of a retainer and doesn't obliterate the darkening.

I'd like a reverse comparison picture set also, see if the reverse looks the same compared to the other two coins, but to me that qualifies as a black beauty as much as any others are, only yours saw some circulation while the mint state ones are completely obvious what they are. 1958 and 1959 Philly are the years for them. For what it's worth, I think that is a legit black beauty, but not uncirculated though.

13. Dearborn

Thank you John, I was looking for two explanations, one to verify my BB, and to mainly check if the edges were affected differently from reeded coins to non-reeded ones.

14. John Burgess

Yes annealing errors on flat edge coins appear opposite of reeded edge coins and are dark on the edge. Reeded edge coin colors are more like dies than retainers and impress the edge dramatically.
    Strike luster is the one diagnostic that encompasses either denomination. If the coloration happened before the strike the strike luster will still be present through the coloration, if it happens after the strike it interferes with the strike luster, it doesn't flow as you'd expect it to.

Well circulated coins that have lost their strike luster would be very difficult, if at all, to attribute to an annealing error in my opinion. I think there is a time point of circulation wear where determining is just lost. A lot like the experimental rinse sacagawea dollars.

Your pictures #4 and 5, of the 3 coins and the edge, look really right to me for a 58 black beauty but I'm not an expert or professional, just a hobbyist with massive interest. I'd personally gamble on getting it attributed and would think it's a near sure thing if it were mine compared to others I've seen.

Is a black beauty worth the fees for attribution and peace of mind? I don't really know.

Dearborn likes this.
  15. Dearborn

Thanks John, Great information there. I was/am considering on getting it attributed (for peace of mind and ease of argument) To whom would you recommend me sending it to? (I'm not a huge fan of ANACS, But I am a member of PCGS, but they seem to miss the attributions most times)

16. John Burgess

All 3 will label them improperly annealed/ sintered. ANACS puts "black beauty" on the slab if 1958 or 1959. Really up to you which company you choose and if worth the cost.
    You'd need to submit it as an error coin to be attributed as such. It's probably $5-$10 as is if sold, I don't know if that plays a factor in your decision.

Also it's my opinion off pictures, they may not agree if it's in hand, rotated under light about the luster being right. Personally I'd do it as cheaply as possible since it doesn't have a shot at being high grade, one attribution is as good as another on lower grade/value coins. The only gamble is if they agree and slab it, the pcgs or ngc price bump over anacs slabs won't really play a factor.

17. Dearborn

thanks for that information.

18. KEN POTTER

KEN POTTER New Member

I was able to tell it was genuine at a glance. I found a number of these while searching Adams dollars for Double Edge Lettering and Plain Edgers. The coins were of course "golden" but the effect was identical. Nice find!

19. Rick Stachowski

Thanks for stopping by Mr. Potter .
    Muchly appreciated hopefully we see you on the forums more .

Draft saved Draft deleted