2017 D Ellis island quarter error???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Vicki Womack, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Vicki Womack

Vicki Womack Member

C79CFA33-EFE2-4F88-BDFD-E16D96FED9D3.jpeg C79CFA33-EFE2-4F88-BDFD-E16D96FED9D3.jpeg 8977ACB9-EAA7-4CD3-99D0-DE5FD93D7627.jpeg E9203ED5-B753-4F5C-8CAE-91EDEFA0D0EF.jpeg 53A4F6CC-43AC-4819-A66E-3ABE1D4E151E.jpeg I’m new to collecting so I am probably not right about this but I see doubling on the “N” in New Jersey. Even further out, it stays prominent while the other “mechanical doubling “ doesn’t. Opinions please...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe Member

The clue to a DDO is understanding the different classes of DDO, visit the site doubleddie.com, this will walk you through the classes. When you read the section on doubled dies, you should understand why the numismatist here will ask for other photos of the devices (the letters or anything else that is not a flat surface (called the field) both on the obverse and reverse. Why? Because one letter with perceived doubling does not make a DD, it could be machine doubling. I personally was more convinced that this may be a variety when a photo made visible an adjacent device. After you find this kind of stuff, go to doubleddie.com and see if there is a photo like your coin and read up on the Die Marks or other cracks, chips on the coin, which if present on yours, suggests you found a variety! Congrats, I personally think you have a class II DD but you need more photos, to eliminate a pivot or other hub issue.

4. Vicki Womack

Vicki Womack Member

Ok thank you I will...but I did read on google that there are no known errors for this particular quarter

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

6. Vicki Womack

Vicki Womack Member

However, the bright “arch” in the N is shaped differently in the doubling, I get your point because I also thought about it until I realized it was slightly different. ALSO, the bottom of the first line in N is shorter

7. shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe Member

Have you studied what is incuse on what the relationship is between the die cavities on the die in relationship to the planchet. Go on youtube.com maybe, and find the channel of Ken Peavey (deceased :( ). He walks you through the use of playdough and what looked like a homemade plastic die, it will help how the post from ken454 is on point. Again you need to provide an entire photo of the NEW JERSEY dedvices.

8. Vicki Womack

Vicki Womack Member

OK here are a couple of more photos one with the New Jersey all the way in partially in and then I also took a different angle of the N

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted