2017 D dime - satin finish?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GSDykes, Dec 16, 2019.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I recently found in change a satin finish 2017 D dime. I find no info in the literature, so I wonder how it came to be? I heard somewhere, that the first dozen or so coins minted from a new die can be rather frosty. Otherwise, I am stymied. I can sleep better if someone can help.
    Gary in Washington

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

4. GSDykes

Must an image be displayed, for one to recognize what a SF coin is? If you insist I will photograph it. Just a moment................................ or two.

5. cpm9ball

Well, yes and no. The Mint ceased production of the Satin Finish Mint Sets in 2010, but that doesn't mean that some of the old dies weren't used by mistake.

Chris

6. GSDykes

I tried to capture the finish, I posed two regular dimes, with the SF in the middle. Hard to shoot in a hurry. But notice the two outer dimes reflect the light back as shiney, bright. Easier to note in hand. I hope you can see it.

2017_SF.jpg

7. GSDykes

If they reused an old SF type die, they had to rework the dies, both anvil and hammer, as well as the dates, etcetera. Is this reasonable?

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

I'm not going to speculate about what goes on in the minds of Mint employees. Still, it might be helpful if you posted photos of the coin.

Chris

9. GSDykes

I did post photos! The middle coin is the 2017 D. With a SF like the enhanced 2017 S dimes.

10. cpm9ball

It looks like a normal finish to me.

Chris

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm sure in hand, it shows differently than your photos, but to me it looks like a normal finish also.

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It looks normal to me too.
    That means that the surface can vary directly from the Mint.
    Also, exposure to any air, water, ground, pockets, drawers, etc after it leaves the mint can also vary it's looks/surface also from very minor to major variations from it's original "look".

13. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Special Satin finish coins were produced for inclusion in uncirculated mint sets from 2005 through 2010. See how your coin compares to one of those coins. If you don't have one, PM me and I'll send you one for comparison.

14. GSDykes

I have a bunch of SF coins. You can find 2017 D dimes on EBAY with satin finishes. Mine is not unique.

[​IMG]

True the images are poor, but others can be found:
    2017 D Roosevelt Dime Gem BU Satin Finish

Item Information
    Condition:
    --not specified
    Price:
    US $3.49
    Buy It Now -

Add to cart -

Add to Watchlist

Longtime member
    Returns accepted
    Free shipping

Shipping:
    FREE Standard Shipping | See details
    culled from EBAY,

Gary in Washington

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@GSDykes On eBay, most coins with a satin finish are from those years 2005-2010 when they were included in uncirculated mint sets. The 2017 D dime may look like a satin finish but it is not a satin finished coin. If you have "a bunch" of SF coins then you should be able to see the difference. Read the following: https://www.coinnews.net/2010/12/22/satin-finish-ends-on-us-mint-sets/
    Or this: https://mintnewsblog.com/end-of-satin-finish-officially/
    EDIT: Just looked at your profile page. Very nice website.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  16. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Just a newly made die that hasn't been broken in yet. You can call it what you like, and ask any amount for it.

GSDykes likes this.
  17. GSDykes

That was my first conclusion. Other views did not convince me otherwise. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted