2017 Blue Book (R.S. Yeoman) prices

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by juris klavins, Jul 22, 2016.

1. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Just purchased the new Blue Book (2017) - the price of silver is up since the 2016 book, yet the coin prices for Washington quarters and Franklin halves are a dollar less than in the previous edition - does anyone know the 'lag time' between the posting of prices and actual publication date ? It seems that the 2016 Blue Book prices are more accurate now than those in the 'new' 2017 edition.
    Example: 2017 edition lists G-4 Mercury dimes = 1916D 475, 1921 25, 1921D 30
    2016 edition lists G-4 Mercury dimes = 1916D 500, 1921 30, 1921D 35
    Are dealers really paying less this summer than last year, or is it a Blue book glitch?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. totally

totally Active Member

The amount of scrap silver in a mercury dime is like $1 or 2 (http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1916-1945-Silver-Mercury-Dime-Value.html). So your blue book prices are numismatic values, not scrap prices. So it doesn't matter if the price of silver goes from $13 to $20 an ounce because the price in the book isn't based off the price of silver.

Maybe the numismatic value of the mercury dime series has fallen a little year over year. One could reasonably make a case that mercs, especially the 1916D are very overvalued compared to their numismatic rarity. Maybe people just are paying a little less for them.

Edit - spelling

juris klavins likes this.
  4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

If the blue book is anything like the red book, then the price of silver and gold is stated somewhere in the text. For example...

Note: Values of common gold coins have been based on the current bullion price of gold, $ 1,300 per ounce, and may vary with the prevailing spot price. The net weight and content listed may be used to recalculate bullion value.
    Yeoman, R.S.. A Guide Book of United States Coins 2015: The Official Red Book (Kindle Locations 3703-3705). Whitman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

juris klavins likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't rely on that volume.........use it only for yucks and semi orgasmic delights.........ain't the real world.

dwhiz, juris klavins and Paddy54 like this.
  6. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

You know I used to buy the new years Red Book every year it came out, but buy the time it comes out, its already ohtdated..... Now I can't even get rid of the ones I have...

dwhiz and juris klavins like this.
  7. green18

Save 'em. In 200 years you'll be rich......or dead. devil.gif

8. charlietig

I'm thinking I'll be dead before they sell at or above list price lol

9. green18

We'll both be dead......me before you. :)

10. charlietig

Don't be so quick to assume now lol

11. green18

Well, I am years ahead of you. Stay safe old friend........:)

12. charlietig

Old? Tell me about it, I'll be 19 on the 3rd :wideyed:

13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insights - I guess that eBay auction prices are more reflective of real world values - the blue book prices are just guesstimates and/or general guidelines

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Maybe the discussions on the forum have transferred to the real world about availability and value. I have only seen 1 -16D since the popularity report. Seems like it should be coming back to reality. 21's are just a bonus.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ken he is AGES older than you!

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is an abundant truth which renders any printed guide useless if you're interested in how much you should pay right now. If you wish to buy something, the only relevant "price guide" is how much other people will pay for the same thing today, because you're not competing against a printed word for the item....

Fortunately we live in a world where real-life sales results are easy to aggregate. The importance of this data cannot be overstated, and is what renders printed price guides irrelevant.

17. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

If the Redbook lists a $700 1982-P 25c for $15 then I suppose the Bluebook will list it for a quarter.

I'm boycotting all the price guides until they fix the mess.

Cascade likes this.
  18. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

There is no reason to pay attention to any annual price guide. Why anyone think it accurately reflects what coins are actually worth?

19. charlietig

I know!

20. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

And I'm turning 13 in 12 days... As of the time this was written, 11 days for you east coasters...

Anyway, price guides don't always reflect value IMO.
    An example of coins being listed too low is the 1863-67 S half dimes and dimes. These usually sell for waaay above price guide value, even damaged as most S-mint seated half dimes and dimes prior to 1872 are usually found damaged.

An example of price guides listing coins too high is the 1912-S Liberty Head Nickel.
    In the 2017 RB G-4s are $175, VG-8s are $240, and F-12s are $285. A quick search on the bay for slabbed coins shows I can buy G-4s for $130, VG-8s for $165, and F-12s for $200. The price curve from F-12 to VF-20 is large both in the books and on the market, so get a nice F-12 if you want one.

BTW red book is dealer sell price, blue book is dealer buy price.

21. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Because a majority of sellers use red book prices. From eBay, to GC, to my lol local LCS. True auctions notwithstanding. At least from what I've seen .

Draft saved Draft deleted