2017 American Liberty Gold

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

So when is the "official" design going to be posted on usmint.gov with an official price ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

The new Lady Liberty kinda looks like -
    one of the Cosby kids images-3.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The official design is the one you see on this thread, and the price will come directly from the pricing grid depending on what the spot price is each week it's on sale. THIS IS A BULLION COIN.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Better be careful, one could take that talk as a flipper (those scum!)

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Except I'm talking about a 5-7 year time horizon.

7. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Yet another example of why coin design by committee doesn't work. The position of Chief Engraver has been vacant since 2010 and it shows.

The allegorical representation of Liberty is quite nice, but I can hear a committee saying "the stars just aren't big enough." So we end up with a headband that goes beyond unrealistic. Looking at Liberty's ear, it actually looks painful to wear.

On the reverse, all the extra verbiage results in an eagle that has its wings in an unusual position and is a bit too short in the body. Yet somehow the designer still felt the need to crop the tail features.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the obverse and reverse fonts to match, but need they be this dissimilar? And do we really need 4 sets of initials to clutter up the fields?

Coinlover67, Paul M. and Blissskr like this.
  8. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says only 1000 preordered. Lowest so far ever. I'm not a fan of this design. I just can't get over the hair-do. At least it wasn't a Bee-Hive. Blech.

Coinlover67 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What do you have against coiled-hair Stellas? ;)

10. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Nothing except, they're too expensive, and to me there is no comparison. This modern hair do is hideous. Stars are too big, it looks gawdy. I'm just waiting for the Universal Pictures Logo to appear somewhere in there. LOL.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Guys. The star headband was inspired by the statue of freedom that sits atop the capitol building. Nobody told them though that the stars are so large so people can see them when the statue is atop the capitol dome. Yet another "oversight" involving this design

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

and yet it seems like they made the stars even larger, just in case you put your coin atop your houses' steeple.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The irony of the freedom statue inspiration cutting off Liberty on the coin....

But if they wanted the freedom statue then do the freedom statue. Do the full head band. Size and place the stars a little better. Don't show me a girl at a toga party and tell me that she's inspired by the statue of liberty from similar garb.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

This is hardly an unprecedented design technique. Look at the Kennedy half dollar.

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised one iota? As much as we try to keep politics out of this forum, it's the White House that crams politics into our current coin designs and hence here. Hopefully soon we might have a new Renaissance in coinage similar to what Teddy Roosevelt did. Let's make our coins the most beautiful coins in the world without regards to politics.

jlogan, Blissskr, Gilbert and 3 others like this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Why do you think I keep debating the politics rule here with Peter and his mods? Coins ARE politics, plain and simple. Especially the design choices.

Look back through world numismatic history. The Bolshevik revolution, the rise of Nazi Germany, the many manifestations of French governments, even to a limited extent the rise of the euro. All of the iconography of coin designs DRIP of politics. Coins are how a government speaks to the world about who they are and what they stand for. Separate coins from politics? Pffft. Not possible.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And Peter provides Partisanlines.com at his expense so you and like minded can go there and discuss politics and coins, including design choices. You would not do it if the positions were reversed. Face it, you do not like preaching to a small room. :) Jim

19. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

It's ok except for the enormous stars and all the initials.
    The eagle is really great.

20. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Preordered from whom? None of the dealers I normally use are taking any preorders.

Blissskr likes this.
  21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Not interested in the design, and therefor, not the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted