2017 American Liberty Gold

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

I personally don't like the design. The portrait is good, but the overly large stars does it in for me.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

As for speculating on the possible value increase in this coin,
    do they melt the coins that don't sell?
    And, what is the premium to the price of gold?
    If it is close to the price of gold, and you speculate that gold will increase
    in the future, then it would be worth buying it now if the price is low enough.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes once they go off sale they are supposed to destroy any coins that were minted that did not sell.

It can be a stiff premium from the mint for special gold objects. I don't believe they have announced a price chart yet but you can bet the premium will almost certainly be a few hundred dollars over spot.

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Gold WILL increase in the future
    Gold will also DECREASE in the future
    it will also cycle up and down and all around in the future.
    the "future" of course depends upon your definition of the future.

But I don't expect gold to go back down to $400/oz any time soon, Back to the Future or not.

6. Michael K

double posted

7. Michael K

I knew in the old days they melted the commens that didn't sell.
    I wasn't sure if that was still the policy.
    The point being, if this coin bombs it might become rare.
    Do we know the current mintage?

I don't speculate in PM's but I believe silver and gold are both low and
    have currently risen from 15.95- 16.80 and gold from 1135-1195.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Mintage means nothing if it's not paired with demand and I'd bet the farm the sustained future demand will be low for these. Only hope is enough collectors want to start obligatoraly getting every year to collect them all. Both the gold and silver versions. The silvers may do well as I'm sure more people will want to start silver sets of every year but I don't think this gold Liberty has a chance at future price increases aside spot fluctuations

swagge1 and Blissskr like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Best Answer
    America is known as the melting pot. This coin is going to find out what the melting pot is when it doesn't sell.

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about picking up one of those $5 buffalo golds. Wow, your picture might seal the deal!

Blissskr likes this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Marked as best answer!

Santinidollar, jwitten and Blissskr like this.
  12. Joea59

Joea59 Member

I agree with you totally! It is at the point that we had "LIBERTY" and FREEDOM! An American "IDEAL" dating back to the founding of the nation. Very well put!

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I like 4, 11, 18, 19, 21, and 22 all better than the chosen design. Those huge stars just look cartoonish. It would look much better to remove them.

Why did nobody say anything, then? Even if it would make no difference, at least make your voice heard!

We should stop "honoring" black people with ugly coins. Booker T Washington, Washington-Carver, Robinson, Revolutionary War patriots... those are all ugly coins IMHO. We can do better!

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Utter silence from the people who pump the most money of all into their operation should have been all the hint the Mint needed. I think subtleties are lost on those people.

Blissskr and Paul M. like this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I would not have been subtle. ;)

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

My response would have been very vocal had I been on that committee.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Well it's obvious you were dealing with dense people who haven't a clue. Downright outrage probably would have had the same effect

jtlee321, Blissskr and Paul M. like this.
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Kurt can testify. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

22 could have been tweeked into being a nice looking coin. 12 could have too with a redesign so she wasn't wearing a gillie suit. 14 with a normal looking Liberty would have been better received as well. Half of those proposed designs I really don't get how they are supposed to be representing liberty aside from the fact they wrote it on there. If this is the mints artists unleashing their talents its time to put them back into their cage

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Why are the people making design decisions so out of touch? This reminds me of the Susan B Anthony dollar that was widely rejected (and still is) IMO largely due to the horrid design.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Kurt is herein testifying. (Can I get an 'amen'?) Look, the United States Mint decision-makers are a creature of the President they have been serving. They are HIGHLY politicized. Why do you think we haven't had a full-blown Director of the Mint since Moy? No one the President would nominate has had a ghost of a prayer of Senate confirmation. It's quite simple. This soon-to-be ex-President wanted a political agenda all over everything, including Mint products. This is his farewell gift to the numismatic community.

I was told by the current Chief Deputy Director that ALL, and that means A-L-L decision making had to go through the White House. There was almost no autonomy at the Mint for design decisions.

At the October Mint forum, I was watching the faces of Mint personnel. They were just itching for someone to express disapproval so they could lambast them for being racist.

Besides, this design was NOT presented as "their current thinking" but more of a done deal.

If I had THIS kind of money to throw around on speculation (I don't), I'd buy one for that purpose. EVENTUALLY, low initial sales always brings a premium. See the Robinson and Revolutionary War Patriots (and Atlanta Olympics and others). This coin will eventually SOAR in the aftermarket.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted