2017 American Liberty Gold

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sittinguy

sittinguy Member

I don't know if this coin is going to work for me?

4. Blissskr

I grabbed a screen capture when they showed the coin which is below. Looks like they used that reverse that was proposed. No idea why the mint didn't simply announce that's what they went with since showing the test piece obverse and had to have an 'unveiling'. I wasn't impressed with the presentation nor the images of the coin shown. 2017libertygold.png

mynamespat, Travlntiques and Paul M. like this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

If they needed to get an African American coin, they should have gone with HR 22. Take out the background leaves, which makes it too busy, and you have a decent coin.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This design was shown to the participants in the October mint forum in Philly. The reaction in the room was stony silence. The "politicians" from the mint were soooo proud of it.

mynamespat, Paul M. and Blissskr like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

When I took a design class in college, our entire class entered a competition to design a logo for a chiropractors office. We all put out our best work. And we were all shocked when the chiropractor chose the simplest design, nowhere near the "coolest" or what we considered "the best."
    The professor used it as an opportunity to teach us the value of how the most useable and workable designs are often not the neatest looking ones.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The Mint, IMHO, misses the point of Liberty completely. She is not a person; she is an American ideal dating back to the founding of the nation.

Nathan401, orifdoc and Paul M. like this.
  9. Blissskr

Pretty much how the entire press conference went with the mint officials patting themselves on the back over their progressiveness and the evolving of America.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Hard to comment on this without getting zinged, so I will just say that I will not buy any.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Rassi and Paul M. like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Sigh

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is probably my 4th or 5th choice as far as design. Much better than most of the ones pictured on page 2. But as I stated before, it's in the top 3 as far as feasibility for the Mint to be able to execute. I like it just fine.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. baseball21

Lol 4 sets of initials on the coin. Is this the first coin with that many? I can't think of any others where so many people got to "sign" it

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There is a possibility that it might draw some groups of citizens into numismatics that have been under represented. Also as usual it is ok to not like anyone's coin, just stay with the coin. Otherwise there is always partisanlines.com

Roman Collector and midas1 like this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

Gilbert, why can't we just be honest enough to say that the coin hobby has a particular demographic base, and this coin's design choice is of a different demographic base? It's pretty obvious, no?

The Jackie Robinson commem undersold its contemporaries, as did the Black Revolutionary War Patriots commem. These are just objective factual truths.

16. Blissskr

Rassi likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

I believe the raised lettering was chosen precisely BECAUSE it was evocative of very early U.S. coinage.

Rassi and Blissskr like this.
  18. baseball21

The 2009 UHR comes to mind

Blissskr likes this.
  19. Blissskr

That's the one I was thinking of. I really wish the mint did the same with the 30th anniversary silver eagles as well.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

I wonder if it is the inherent softness of .9999 gold that makes it easier to carry off.

Roman Collector, Blissskr and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted