2017 American Liberty Gold

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jan 11, 2017.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm thinking needs to be 5-10k for any real excitement

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Salspi

Salspi Member

Not a fan of this design.

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I can't understand why people are so negative. The proposed designs posted here are much more appealing to me than the designs of most other modern commemoratives.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. baseball21

That really hasn't been a high bar to get over lately

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Such a high bar.... lol
    [​IMG]

Volante, Gilbert, mynamespat and 3 others like this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yeah, the mint is now stretching to keep new coinage entering the market to keep revenue stream up. after all the states, spouses, presidents, parks/landmarks .. what's left ?

Maybe they should come out with gold versions of old coins? ooh, they already did that too.

8. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Thought this combo would have been a great coin/ medal. 2017-American-Liberty-HR-Obverse-Design-Candidates-HR-O-12-510x331.jpg 2017-American-Liberty-HR-Reverse-Design-Candidates-HR-R-08-510x331.jpg

Sallent, midas1, britannia40 and 8 others like this.
  9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Have they ever not chosen what the CCAC picked? Serious question, because I literally don't know.

I agree. I would have bought the facing Liberty with the sword and flag. She's fierce, and you don't mess with her.

Uhh... the reverse on that one was okay at least. :)

I like that one, too!

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

@Paul M. according to this article I found which is dated a few years ago the treasury secretary hasn't yet chosen not to go with what the CCAC and CFA has recommended since the CCAC was founded. Although the original Washington quarter the treasury secretary did ignore the CFA and went with the design they wanted. So apparently if the reverse revealed today isn't what was recommended it will be a historic modern first.
    http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/mint_does_what_its_told_by_law_to_do

Paul M. likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To be fair, you cannot translate lots of those design elements (the facial features especially) onto a coin. Look at all the shading and shadows used throughout the drawing.... this cannot be done thru engraving and striking. I bet they loved this more than the chosen design, but the winning design makes more sense as far as execution than the drawing posted above.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pretty, but too busy. At first glance I thought it was some sort of parody coin with a lobster on the obverse.

Roman Collector, Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That one also would be too difficult to translate to a coin. I can guarantee you they looked at it and all agreed, "too busy."

Roman Collector likes this.
  14. I think we should just wait to see the ACTUAL coin itself before judging it. I am/was looking forward from our Mint in purchasing some cool coinage, So we'll just have to see what mintage as well as what the actual coin(s) look like.. Hoping for the best like everyone else. Hoping for a low mintage of no more than 7,500 to 8,000 total.

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This coin will be in silver too. Just like last year with the HR gold then it's silver counterpart that sold out in an hour. The Liberty HR gold & complimenting silver combo will become a yearly issue so those who have both of last year's and want to continue for a complete "Liberty" set will need to pick these up as well however displeased they may be with the design

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That's getting in the same league with the Eunice Shriver coin.

jwitten likes this.
  17. baseball21

Even though some of the minting issues may be true (@dcarr) I would bet they love the design they chose the most with the sub-par designs they have consistently picked.

18. Blissskr

Also the obverse design @jwitten posted wasn't even considered for this coin here was all the proposed obverse design choices.

1/2

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Paul M. and jwitten like this.
  19. Blissskr

20. baseball21

I will take none for 500 Alex

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow. They were really under orders weren't they. And that's the crux of this entire situation. It feels forced.

Draft saved Draft deleted