2016 Zincoln And It's Not Road Rash

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Double Die, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Found this one and not sure what to make of it? When I first saw it, my initial response was another road rash casualty. But when I looked closer, there were no pits, scratches, or any other deformities... it's clean but looks like crumpled foil.

If this is a case of DD or orange peel, it's the most extreme I've ever seen but I don't think that's it either? Is this a planchet issue of some sorts? I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves and wait to hear what you all think. And yes I checked to see if there was any chocolate inside.

wow1c (1).jpg wow1c (2).jpg wow1c (3).jpg wow1c (4).jpg wow1c (5).jpg wow1c (6).jpg wow1c (7).jpg wow1c (8).jpg wow1c (9).jpg wow1c (10).jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

All I know is that it didn't come from the Philadelphia Mint looking like that.
    It's some kind of Post Mint Damage :yack:

I have found hundreds of Copper plated zinc cents like that in my 10 years of metal detecting hunts.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It has been damaged by something.

spirityoda and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

PMD. This could also be caused by poor quality control of the plating process.

NOS likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Flat, wide, and mushy letters. Rim starting told over. Lots of random marks/hits. Looks like a dryer coin to me.

7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

IMO, it looks like it has been through a wash of acidic solution...maybe vinegar or lemon juice...doesn’t seem to be heat related but I guess it is possible...Spark

john65999 likes this.
  8. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

No doubt PMD.
    I’m guessing this coin was heated, causing the copper to start to bubble and delaminate from the zinc, then cleaned to remove any toning or discoloring - or perhaps heated in a vacuum or inert gas, preventing any oxidation from occurring.
    It kind of has that “aluminum foil hit with a blowtorch” look.
    Another possibility is a soak in an acid that would attack the zinc more aggressively than the copper. However, I believe the 1st scenario is more likely.

spirityoda and Spark1951 like this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Sorry but I agree with paddyman and the others that it's a PMD. Better luck ahead.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yet another lousy Zincoln cent. I sure wish the mint would get rid of this monstrosity of a metal combination.

Bayern likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely damaged as it's a cheap zinc Cent. Spend it.

12. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Zinc deterioration, from whatever cause. Spend it before it self destructs even further, as it undoubtedly will.

Spark1951 likes this.
  13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Yes, even if you save it to spend later...you lose! Why?

INFLATION. Spend it NOW to use it’s full spending power!

(This message brought to you by your ever lovin’, neighborhood Spark (aka Sparkomatic for about 50 years, then I shortened it).

Draft saved Draft deleted