2016-W Centennial Gold Mercury Dime - I got mine!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Apr 21, 2016.

1. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Nice enough coin, but wish the details were crisper.

I would rather receive the coins just in their capsule, but the fancy new box is a definite step up and much easier to remove the capsuled coins.

Blissskr likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Proud to say:

I didn't get any

dwhiz likes this.
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Equally proud to say that I bought one from the Mint and I like the coin.

old49er and stoster38 like this.
  5. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

anyone got nice images for the coin.

old49er likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just send 'em to me guys, and I'll image them for you....... devil.gif

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I'm afraid I like the original design better. It looked a lot crisper, and Gem UNC FSB's can be had for less than $100.

Now if I wan to be complete with my type set, I am going to have to eventually get one of these, but probably five years after all of the mark-up instant hype goes away. If they can't make it look as nice as the original, then it is just bullion (maybe a slight premium) in my book.

Call me cynical, but I just can't appreciate modern stuff.

8. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I'm calling you cynical!!! [emoji13]

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Be that way. :p

stoster38 likes this.
  10. green18

Nuthin wrong with 'modern'. I'm ancient in age, but modern in my viewpoint and collecting. Traditional with my commems and opened minded when it comes to collecting coins.......unlike many traditional and classic collectors of US coins. :)

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I know the feeling. I got real excited about these until I found out that Congress had not authorized silver versions. We're celebrating the 100th anniversary of classic silver coins, not gold coins fergawdsakes. How more stupid could this entire project be?

Anyway, it's obvious I don't like them. I know a lot of my fellow collectors do. No slight aimed at them.

Off my chest. Now I will shadup!

Cascade likes this.
  12. green18

For Congress to authorize a silver, they'd have to agree on another commem, and as things stand now, only two commems can be issued in a calendar year. Heck, we don't want to perpetuate the abuses of the classic commems, do we? Regurge the abuses of the thirties? It ain't happening now, right? devil.gif

Santinidollar likes this.
  13. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I got my coin today. Before I opened the package I was wondering why it was so heavy!! The coin box is huge!!! I wish they had made it smaller!! I do like the coin though!! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green18 likes this.
  14. green18

Yeah, those packaging guys in the fulfillment center are really challenged when it comes to proper packaging and box size. I guess 'box cutter' and packing material ain't in their vocabulary.........

stoster38 likes this.
  15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

1399957129213s.jpg

stoster38 likes this.
  16. y2k95

y2k95 New Member

Got mine today as well. Though I'm a little concerned about a mark that is right above PLURIBUS. At the very edge of the mark on the right side, there is what seems to be a faint orange line. I've noticed other gold merc seem to have something similar. Any ideas why this is happening? I doubt it worth sending it in for grading now.

Attached Files:

17. stoster38

stoster38 Member

A little dark. Hard to see

18. y2k95

y2k95 New Member

yes, I'll need to take some tomorrow with natural light. Though you can still see the rub mark but not the orange line

19. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Interesting, but I don't believe it is off-center. The coin appears to bee struck fully within the collar. Looks like both dies may be misaligned and in the same direction. hard to tell with it in the capsule ad it almost looks like some sort of spacing ring is overlapping the edge of the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted