2016 ultra high relief Liberty silver medal

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by anchor1112, Jul 25, 2016.

1. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

my guess is that the mint will sell proof version at $64.95 to $69.95. And the uncirculated at $54.95 to $59.95 each.
    2015 American eagle silver one ounce proof sell for $48.95 and burnished unc for $39.95. Both stop selling from the mint. And 2016 version is not even offer yet.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Even so - pick up of these from any coin dealer should be very easy if you want them. The Mint sold out of the Gold Mercury dime in an hour with only 125,000 pieces minted - (hope my figures are correct) AND they are still available everywhere for a small premium over Mint price. Although Coin Vault still thinks theirs are worth 400$

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Are they making a high relief silver Liberty piece? I know they talked about it last year when the made the high relief $100 gold coin but I don't think they ever did. I can't recall hearing anything about it for this year.

OK there is something listed on the Mint website being available Aug 23rd, but they don't even have an image, not even a artists rendition, available yet. And it looks like there will be a West Point and a San Francisco version. Probably proof and either unc or burnished.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's supposed to be the exact same design of the 2015 gold coin minus the denomination as that would have required congressional approval.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just a piece of silver, but I'm in for one or two if they ever become available..........

8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Off topic, but I just read an article that says the mint still has about 9k of the 125k mintage. All canceled orders and returns. Whatever is damaged won't be replaced so there's really not 125k out there. No known time frame of when they might be sold again....fwiw

10. green18

No news on a whole bunch of expected items that will probably be all released within a few days of each other (late fall), and bankrupt my Christmas budget.......

Blissskr and BigTee44 like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Unless they're going to do a 3 coins gold set with all the returns from the three they'll probably be melted. PCGS First Strike 70s which historically fetch the highest price are selling well under 300 dollars now and raw ones at like 240-250. The demand won't be there for flippers to absorb the last 9k of returns if the mint tries to sell them outright.

12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ditto for me.

13. Nathan401

What's left for mint gold this year? Standing Liberty quarter, Walking Liberty half, and what else?

14. green18

I think that's it. I'm not really in for those, but who know? Depends on how many 'stockings' don't get filled.......... devil.gif

15. Nathan401

I know everyone's view on these and the Mercury being overpriced, oversold, quality, overpriced, overpriced. You get it. But that goes for most Mint products. My view is much simpler, I don't sell or flip, I just buy. I love U.S. coin history, and I love the coins (the original designs), and I love gold. Will they be worth more someday than I pay, or less? Doesn't matter to me, I enjoy them, my wife does, and someday hopefully all our children will. Or maybe they will sell and get a bunch of money, and that''s cool too. For me it's just a win!

EldoEsq and green18 like this.
  16. green18

Hear ya Brother. I'll purchase with an eye toward collecting, but will also purchase a few extra if I feel something is gonna be 'hot'. The residuals are plowed back into collecting........commems. :)

17. Nathan401

We bought just one Mercury, and it has this 'finning' issue. I've seen a lot of these "errors" sell for crazy numbers on Ebay. Nobody really knows how many were minted like this. Maybe most? It seemed fairly common in the Ebay frenzy that ensued that day. No matter what, I'm still keeping the single one that I bought. It looks great!

green18 likes this.
  18. Nathan401

An interesting thought. Speaking of commems, I recently bought an 1882 Columbian half with some cool die cracks connecting lots of letters on the reverse. Thought the cracks were cool...

19. green18

I read about that........not much into errors or varieties myself, but I love hearing about discoveries by others.........:)

20. Nathan401

Is that common on the 82 Columbians?

21. green18

Pic? We love pics. Perhaps a new thread though. We don't want to hijack Elaines' (Anchors) thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted