2016 Standing Liberty Gold Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Sep 1, 2016.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

More then likely the price will fall on these just like the others. It's the hot new item though so as long as people buy it the price will stay there. Since it didn't even sell out first day I have a hard time believing these won't start falling soon. The 70s could hold value if a low percentage is coming back with them but I haven't checked.

NGC is a little easier to get modern 70s then PCGS but there probably was some good luck for you too since you got a 70 on both and had only sent one of each.

They never did. They always have and always will have their own standards. I've never understood the notion that we should all be mindless robots to an ANA standard anyway, they can start their own grading service if they wish and everyone including ANA members grades differently anyway

That's a common misconception. The majority won't. Some are over-graded a few are under-graded the overwhelming majority are accurately graded.

They still get charged for it and some designate 70 as the lowest but there is still a charge, it just saves them the time of cracking it out as a lot of the times raw ones sell better then 69s since people think it could be a 70.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The TPG are sort of like coin cops in that they have to enforce a quota in order to satisfy the demand! My high school woodshop teacher told me if I tried for perfection in my work, I might achieve excellence, as perfection is impossible to attain. Some of the only words I remember from school which actually made any sense. Since a perfect 70 is impossible to attain, then is it actually a 69.9999999?

4. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

Nice looking coin, I'm glad I got 1. s-l1600.jpg

5. royster

royster southroy

I was surprised to get an e-mail saying my Standing Liberty is shipping? This is a record for the US Mint and me? I ordered it 9-9-16 received e-mail 9-10-16 with Tracking number departing 9-12-16 amazing:D

stoster38 likes this.
  6. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I ordered my coin on the first day. Got an order confirmation but no shipping email [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Like the Mercury gold dime and gold Kennedy, there aren't enough real collectors who both want it and can afford it. Reading earlier posts in this topic, it doesn't surprise me that the gold Mercury has 9000 of the 125k mintage unsold and I expect a similar outcome with this one. But whether it sells out or not, there will be a glut of coins bought by speculators in the aftermarket that aren't in demand by real collectors, just as the gold Mercury and Kennedy before it.

Like the gold Kennedy, this coin is far above the price point of the overwhelming percentage of collectors. For those who can both afford it and might want it, there are far better coins available for the same money and anyone who wants it will never have a problem buying it later.

chascat likes this.
  8. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

The mint produced enough to satisfy demand, and they price it to make a profit to cover their costs (the gold is not the only cost and the mint needs to make some money). They reduce the quantity per household to keep the flippers from taking all of the stock up front. They literally start shipping the next day. Except for the first 15 minutes of access to the site, the mint seemed to do a pretty good job so far in my opinion.

Tater, Danjohnson and royster like this.
  9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I,m seeing pre-sale reservations all over the place. Flippers are adding another middle man, so in the end, mass quantities can be had and sold before the hype dies. The end result is always the same...prices will drop dramatically, the mint, the middlemen, the grading services, and the flippers all make a bundle, while the collector looses his @**. If you don,t like being taken, then don,t fuel the fire. Let the prices drop back to issue price or below and screw the flippers!

10. royster

royster southroy

I agree with USS 656 The Mint sold 1/2 the 1st day 1 per house hold keeps the Coin TV ripoffs some what at bay and those of us who want them got one if you don't like them that's your choice i do like them and the Mint has to pay for design employment packaging advertisement and show some profit. I have been working at the same company for 29 years and collecting longer than that i will have all 3 coins and do not feel ripped off or like i'm fueling a fire i just love coins and i collect these in silver as well. If it were not illegal for the Mint to produce these in silver i wounder how many would complain about the prices?:cigar: Have fun collecting coinage!

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  11. royster

royster southroy

The Winged Liberty's did sell out! Until final counts showed 9,000 cancellation orders for various reasons including re turns because of flaws.The flawed coins will not be offered but The Mint could not decide as of yet a fair way to sell these to people who received a flawed coin or who should get one of the cancellation coins. Still no decision. Source Coin World 7/6/2016

12. SILVER E C-C

My coin has been shipped, I to like this coin :happy: I have no plans on selling it. I buy mostly gold coins that I like, with an interest in selling them during my retirement years :happy: just part of a retirement portfolio. :cigar:

Chiefbullsit, DMac and Danjohnson like this.
  13. royster

royster southroy

Happy your coin shipped.:)I like the coin as well even though there are many opinions on this subject both for and against but i buy what i want. I have collected for along time and even though people have asked i have never traded or sold any of my coins so your attitude seems to be like mine. Enjoy your coins and happy hunting!:cigar:

14. SILVER E C-C

It sure is nice to be at that point in life where you can spend $489 on a coin and don't have to worry about profits at this time :happy: enjoy gold coins ~ I certainly do :pompous:

15. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I got my coin last Friday. Very nice coin!! The only thing I didn't like was that the packaging was way too big!! The boxes could have been half the size. I'm almost tempted to send the coin in for grading just to get smaller packaging!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan401 likes this.
  16. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I've never seen coins pop out of the press like this before. Could this be the cause of some of the QC issues?

medjoy and Tater like this.
  17. Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke Well-Known Member

PCGS submission question. Can 2 of the 2016 quarters be sent in on the same submission sheet? Do I choose the Regular service level $32 + $18 special label?

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

ESNDirect on TV tonight offering the gold SLQ for $899.99. Graded SP70 by the basement slabber IGS.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Meanwhile Penn, which was buying the things for $540 and covering next-day shipping to them, is offering pre-order PCGS MS70s for $575 each -- with free shipping. Selling at a loss, but making it up in volume?

20. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

As you know, I'm a bit of a noob. Do you think it's worth sending in a mint purchased one to get graded and slabbed?

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I didn't buy one. Maybe some of those who did will give you some feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted