2016 Standing Liberty Gold Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Sep 1, 2016.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Agreed probably didn't make a big difference on this one, but still also agree a limit of 1 is rather silly for such a high mintage. Heck the medals had a limit of 2 each with a 12.5k mintage and this is 1 with a 100k, that doesn't make sense to me

medjoy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I think the mint got so much flak having a household limit of 5 with only 12,500 minted with the metals, they went to far the other way with a household limit of 1 for 100,000 on this one. On the other hand who can figure out the mint's logic anyway. I got my one and my daughter ordered one for me, that way I'll keep one OGP and send the other to NGC.
    Liberty Standing Gold.jpg
    It is a beautiful coin, looks like full head.

4. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

According to another website they sold 47,884 the first day.

5. stoster38

stoster38 Member

http://wp.me/p82Jg-fuH

From Coin News

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vess1 likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That and the fact that each coin costs close to 2 1/2 times what each gold mercury did.

7. TheMont

Each coin is approximately 2 1/2 heavier than the 1/10 ounce gold Mercury Dime, so a price of $485 was expected considering the price of the Mercury. Not that the gold Mercury wasn't over priced to start with, almost $100 over melt.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So who's offering $100 over for these coins? Penn Metals sent me the $50 offer, but I haven't seen anything higher.

9. murty

murty Junior Member

Who is paying $100 over cost??

10. TheMont

Penn Metals and Bullion Exchange $50. and a local dealer (coin show in NM coming up) $100 over the $485 mint price. Local Dealer glad I didn't agree, they're still on the mint's website, so he's going to have family (with a different address than his) order them for him.

11. baseball21

I would take the 100 if I ordered one

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ah, gotcha. I'm guessing those offers are going to be disappearing pretty quickly -- Penn Metals' offer expires at midnight tonight, and I don't see them extending it, with the issue still not sold out at the Mint. I figure an offer of $50 over the original cost is a sure win, because I'm not interested in chasing 70s, and I'm quite sure sub-69 coins will start getting dumped well under the issue price very soon.

13. baseball21

Not to mention the mint will probably lift the household limit soon

14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The coins are still on sale.

15. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

16. TheMont

That's MCM. I'm on their "preferred" list and they call me with incredibly expensive offers. They were also offering $50 over for the coin price.

I don't understand people, if they have a computer and can go onto eBay's site, why would they not go on the mint's site and pay about $300 less, and the worse part is that people will pay that $700+ price on eBay and if they try to sell it will take it out on the coin shop owner. I was in a local shop today and the owner told me someone bought an ANACS certified MS70 ASE and wanted to sell it to him. He offered them $30 and they went nuts. They bought it on a TV coin show, they one that sells everything but the kitchen sink, and you know how overpriced coins are on that show. Once again, a coin shop has to take grief for an inflated price a TV Show (especially that one) charges people.

17. baseball21

That's for a graded 70, the mint doesn't sell those

18. baseball21

Which ASE? There are a lot of them that even for an ANACS that would be an incredibly low offer

19. TheMont

I find it hard to believe that a MS70 adds $300+ to the value of the coin. The way the mint is going, just about every coin they make (proof, commems, special sets, etc.- not the ones for commerce) are going to grade either MS69 or 70. I bought two of the gold Mercury coins and sent one to NGC- it came back MS70. I sent the $100 gold Liberty, it came back MS70. I've either been lucky or the mint is doing a good job with the special coins.

On the other hand, I just read an article by Q. David Bowers that basically said that the TPG have loosened theirs standards. He uses the ANA guide and stated that none of the TPG services abides by it anymore, especially with classic coins. I look for PCGS slabs with the old labels and if I crack out the coin in the holder and resubmit it, the odds are it will grade one to two grades higher.

They want to make money and the big companies and TV shows submit hundreds, if not thousands of coins to them. They tell the TPG that if the coin grades below MS or PR69, don't slab it. That is an incentive to loosen up the standards.

20. TheMont

The ASE was 2016 and it was number so and so of so and so and only that TV show that sells pots and pans has ANACS number them that way. Lets face it, most people want PCGS or NGC. The only time I see many coins in an ANACS holder is if it is a VAM or error.

The Grey sheet-
    PCGS=82.46%
    NGC=82.34%
    ANACS= 65.90%
    ICG= 40.83%
    and that's the big four.

21. royster

royster southroy

The US Mint had computer problems from the start i finally got mine through at 12:17 pm $485.00 +$4.95 s/h Imho i think they look great.Considering the TV Ripoff shows bought most of the Wing Liberty's in 20 minutes at 10 per house hold i'm glad the Mint went to 1 per house hold to keep it from happening again and with sales close to 48,000 the first day it would seem more are going to the collectors and i would be surprised if they lifted the 1 per household limit. I did see MCM pre-orders for the Standing Liberty's for SP MS-70 for $699.00. I was reading the US Mints news site a while back and because of returned cancelled order's and flawed coin's they were considering not releasing the extra coins because there was no fair way to do so and so far they have not? I do not believe NGC or PCGS are trying to lower the standards for grading when you send in a modern coin it's common for me and others not to have it slabbed if it is less than PR or MS 69 the one exception was the 2014 50th anniversary 2 piece clad Kennedy's i was happy to get a 68 those coins did not grade well. Happy hunting:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted