2016 Standing Liberty gold centennial first look

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Blissskr, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Jaelus and BigTee44 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I'll be buying one.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's a lot to grouse about with these coins, but yeah, me too. And the Walker as well, most likely.

5. avr5700

avr5700 Member

Well, I'm looking forward to another two opportunities to be cold start shut down and locked out of buying one at issue from the mint. That is unless I take a day off and pre-log my account with billing all set for the quick 'kill' at open. And I may even do that. No, I will not pay a dime (ha!) over the issue price to a flipper.

If the mint had any concern for collectors they would take orders in some non-competitive manner. I can think of at least two ways off the top of my head...pre-order periods with guaranteed reserves or post open sales windows that have set periods within which all comers will be satisfied at some minimal level.

If they sell more than the limit in such a window, so be it. That's just the breaks for anyone hoping to artificially hold mintages down when they are so far below even the demand of casual collectors. You know...adopt a bias in favor of parties at least interested enough to know when they can purchase without being stampeded. But that's a bit much to ask of our US mint these days I suppose.

kazuma78 and Paul M. like this.
  6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Looks like they may have gotten the full head on this one, hard to see on the screen size I am using at the moment.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Looks super!! I want one at least!

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So it's a bare breast with no nipple? Or is the light bleaching the nipple out?

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm in for one. Hope it will be "FN"

avr5700 likes this.
  11. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

Is that a hit on Liberties shield?

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I'm buying one.

13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Looks much better than the dime.

14. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I'm in for 1 or 2. Depends if there are Proof and Uncirculated versions.

Big question is mintage limit. I'm guessing 100k -- same as the similar-size Mark Twain and NPS gold commemoratives.

15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Only being issued in uncirculated finishes for all three of the centennial coins.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Won't work. A pre-order period just moves the opening rush and sell out to an earlier day with none available when the "first day of sales" rolls around. And an open sales window would be the same as a unlimited number per person sale ad if there is a limited mintage it would vanish even faster. If you mean has no mintage limits then yes that would mean everyone one could have one at issue price, and the aftermarket value will be melt. Well below issue price so everyone who buys from the mint loses.

17. avr5700

avr5700 Member

So let me provide a detailed possibility:

24 hours before the open sales window, permit a one per household/CC/account/etc guarantee on delivery (reserve) sale. All sales in that window would be in surplus of the stated 'limit' which itself would all remain available upon open. Nothing changes about the 'fun' competitive period for a hot item. If after a week, the competitive period's limit has not been reached, reserve sales would dip from the general pool and reduce the overage by whatever amount, if any. Worst case...the 'limit' is hit and the total sold in the limited reserve window would all be overage to add to the mintage.

Do you really think something like that would be the same as 'unlimited' mintage? Even if so, there's still something to be said for base demand being more likely to control the actual numbers sold and thereby act in an ongoing value preserving manner. True demand isn't the type that evaporates as is revealed by a market full of flipping opportunists.

This isn't hard...the mint could balance both sides and 'everyone' would win, except maybe the pre-sales fleabay bottom feeders.

harrync likes this.
  18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well I am doing what I threatened to do. Not interested in the gold so I'm putting together my own tribute. Got a 1942 Mercury proof and now looking at adding a standing liberty. Also want to add a walking liberty proof. All three will be firsts for my collection.

Call me crazy if you want. You won't be the first. :woot::woot::woot:.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Crazy? Not necessarily. But when you do land that SLQ proof, I hope you'll post pictures here. ;)

Blissskr likes this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I think I,ll buy a nice high grade silver SLQ instead.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I will. Promise! ROFL....;)

Draft saved Draft deleted