2016 Proof ASE

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mojavedave, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's easy to take these out of the capsule. I just don't think it's a smart thing to do. They are happy in the holder and there is less chance of issues in the future.
    What type of album are you using?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

A Littleton. They tone silver nicely over time. Putting all types; bu, proof, burnished & sp's

I don't care about seeing the edge lettering after its in the album Dave. I just thought you could get a good pic of it. All this "its too dangerous" talk to take it out is nuts unless one doesn't know how to or isn't confident in their abilities. If you don't want too cool. And this isn't an attack just that it's crazy talk to not take a cheap coin out of a capsule to photograph the edge imo. Again, Not a dig on you personally, I get it if you don't want to, I just think being afraid to do it is nuts :)

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I stopped doing that when I accidentally grabbed a can of Drano.

Chris

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just don't confuse your gold acid test bottle for eye drops :inpain:

charlietig likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You missed it. It's not about ability. The folks that have posted in this thread have done it for so many years that they no longer feel it's worth the risk.

Proof ASEs don't like to be messed with. They will stay happy for many years just the way they are but I can't say the same for proofs put in albums. They don't do well, long term. They will gain haze and spots. You might get lucky and have a few tone up pretty without spots or haze but don't plan on it. Again, many don't feel it's worth the risk.

I have to add. A new fresh set of these in an album is really pretty.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

IMG_2597.JPG I took mine out of the capsule, it's easy and safe.
    My tool of choice

Page 6B.JPG

charlietig, Garlicus and Cascade like this.
  8. dwhiz

I don't disagree with you.
    I will say I collect for my pleasure and for some reason I enjoy seeing my ASE's in a Dansco album.
    Not a very good image of the edge, but did get advise on how to get a better image, and will do that soon.:banghead: 2016 W 30th.jpg

Cascade likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

10. dwhiz

Yes, nice and snug

Cascade likes this.
  11. The Oddsbreaker

The Oddsbreaker New Member

Yes Dave the ASE is a beautiful coin and a Great Series and as important to me as The Morgans.
    I purchased 1 from The US Mint and bought 2 others that where certified Prf 70 by NGC,one of those had The 30th Anniversary NGC Label which looks awesome and the other had a Red Field that held Coin,that was equally as cool.
    Just waiting on The Limited Edition Silver Proof Set and then I'll be done for 2016.
    Enjoy...

12. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

"2016 Anniversary"??? Seriously? WTHeck? I thought they were going to say 30th Anniversary. Wouldn't that make more sense? Mint error?

*From the Mint website - "“30th ANNIVERSARY” is incused on the edge of the coin."

Haven't taken my 3 out of the box yet, to look at them.

P.S. - Don't think we will see a burnished version this year, IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  13. Garlicus

Mojavedave - Maybe because Reagan signed the legislation to produce the ASEs. IDK

Mojavedave and Cascade like this.
  14. Garlicus

OK, taking a closer look at mojavedave's and dwhiz's coins, I notice it says 30th, not 2016 as initially posted and I initially saw (power of suggestion, lol).

15. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

16. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Hey Cascade, no offence taken. I just think that if someone wants to see the edge bad enough, rather than me taking a chance to damage my coin, they should get their own coin to mess around with.

Dave

17. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dave, there was a time when 'proof' coins were up there with Jesus.......you didn't mess with them. Olden times forthcoming, I've no problems with removing a coin from a mint capsule. That said, I can understand your reluctance to do so. Come to Jesus........ devil.gif

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Remember to bring him a beer :D

green18 likes this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Attached Files:

• rofl.gif
      rofl.gif
      File size:
      1,010 bytes
      Views:
  21. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Maybe so Ken on a regular coin, but this is a special anniversary coin and I'm not messing with it or them.

Dave

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted