2016 Platinum Eagle Discuss

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Andrew G., May 26, 2016.

1. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Hi All,

The mint has scheduled the release of the 2016 Platinum Eagle Proof.
    June 30th 2016 @noon
    I would like to open the discussion.
    Please post comments and pictures.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Another way for the Mint to separate you from your money.

4. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Agreed Kanga, however I consider you comment off topic.

Last year's platinum eagle was a good design with low circulation.

Stevearino likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I need to do a little more research, but didn't last year's release sell out really fast and was a flippers dream? If they have similar limits this year, I am all in.

6. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I'm in for one.

7. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

The 2015 display case allows both the 2015 and 2016 Platinum Eagle Proof to be displayed. I will purchase the 2016 coin to be displayed with the 2015 coin.

8. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

9. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

The big questions: mintage, household limits, price.

But none of that matters for me. Gotta have one to match my 2015.

10. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

I agree with Kanga's off-topic reply. It sounds like if the mint had sold the 2015 issue with a platinum coin and 3 empty ports, these folks would subscribe through 2018. Now THAT is clever marketing! Jack

11. COCollector

IIRC, the 2015 Pt Eagle Reverse is a unique 2-year-only design.

That's the reason for the 2 empty slots in the display panel.

Or, if you only bought one coin, the other side of the display panel has just one slot.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. COCollector

Maybe I'm wrong.

The USMint says this is a 2-year Series: https://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/american_eagles/?action=american_eagle_platinum_proof

But CoinNews (Sept2014) reported they were considering different reverse designs for 2015 and 2016: http://www.coinnews.net/2014/09/30/2015-2016-proof-american-platinum-eagle-design-candidates/

If the 2016 design is different -- and awful -- I'm not buying it.

13. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

COCollector - When I read your first answer I thought, "Well, that sounds reasonable." You know, a special display panel to hold two, very special, coins. That actually makes a little sense. But, your second answer sparked my Spidey Sense and I thought, "This is just a money grubbing marketing ploy by the Mint."

It's not my place to say right or wrong, but those aren't inexpensive coins. It really makes me mad that the Mint thinks we, as collectors are such an easily manipulated lot. We probably actually are. By some strange act of biology, we are "hole fillers" as a general rule. I think the Mint approaches us (Numismatists) as though they think they have our buying habits nailed down. How many of us are completing ATB or Presidential Dollar collections of coins which, for the most part, we don't really love? Think of the last coin that was minted in the US that you truly thought was SPECTACULAR. What coin was it? When was it minted? Jack

joecoincollect likes this.
  14. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

This is the recommended design. 2016-Platinum-Proof.jpg I like it.

Mainebill likes this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Now, why can't we get designs like that on coins that are within reach of ordinary collectors?

I was contemplating gambling on a flip for these, but I wonder if I'd be able to let the thing go once I had it.

Mainebill likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They do, even their most awful products sell far too well so why try.

Should be a popular one I would think

17. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

Longarm - That is a show stopper! Oh to have such a design in my humble collection. I agree with jeffB, why couldn't they make a design like that for a circulating coin? I'll bet if they tried that design on a dolar coin, they might actually be able to retire the paper currency. Instead, they give us "the Wicked Witch of the West" (SBA), and follow it up with a deliberate and insincere attempt at political/gender correctness (SAC), and wonder why no one is excited. Do they EVER think of asking representatives of the Numismatic community?

I look at the design of that gorgeous platinum coin, completely out of my economic reach, and feel cheated. Instead, they offer me Latina dancers to celebrate the 100th year of our National Parks. Thanks so very much! Jack

PS - Sorry to have taken this thread so far off topic. I got a little carried away. I'm calm now. No, really, I'm calm now!

joecoincollect and Andrew G. like this.
  18. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

19. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

Yankee42 - Thanks for the Coin World reference. Did you happen to notice in the pictures it shows the mint employee (Dass) holding a Proof Platinum Eagle, with what looks like metal tongs. It probably isn't metal, but it sure looks like it. I would think they would use plastic tongs (like Koin Tongs) that couldn't scratch the metal.

It drives me nuts that there isn't an alternative metal(silver - maybe?) with this design that costs less than $1200.00. I'd even settle for a bronze version just to have the design in my collection. Jack

20. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

10,000 is a LOT higher than I wanted. No doubt. BUT, with how hot last's years was, and with the GORGEOUS design, I think it will sell out, and do ok.. even if only for a short term flip. The designs in years past have been horrible, which I think is why no one wanted them. First spouse style ugly comes to mind. This is a beautiful design though, and I think it could look nicer than the gold high relief coins, which is still expensive and sold a heck of a lot more than 10,000. I will be buying max, and probably with multiple addresses. If they flop, I can always return them, right?

21. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

It is beautiful and I hope you do well with them. I just had to replace an AC condenser and a refrigerator in the same month, so my discretionary income took a hit for several months.

Draft saved Draft deleted