2016 oddities PMDS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, Oct 17, 2016.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

charlietig likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG The edge on this quarter is recessed and still showing a reeded edge. Think of it like a pulley. One pic focused on the tweezers, but, it shows the depth of the recessed edge. I wouldn't think the reeding would be that deep.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  4. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Yeah I can try to take some more pics.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

How about a rim shot.?:D:blackalien:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2016
  8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I'll be the first one to admit not that knowledgeable when it comes to this. But to me it looks like a wrong planchet. Have you checked the weight on this coin.?:eek::blackalien:

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

How about this half dollar?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a wrong Planchet. The edge was exposed to an acid slightly burning the copper core. It will weigh a bit less due to the worn away metal. The slight discoloration on the Obv and Rev clad layer is a good clue to my theory.

usmc60 likes this.
  12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Looks like someone took a shot at that coin with the hollowpoint.? etmag-1-1.jpg :cool::blackalien:

Attached Files:

Eaglefawn and paddyman98 like this.
  13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Outer layers slowly disappearing.:(:blackalien: lam10-28-1.jpg lam10-28-2.jpg lam10-28-3.jpg lam10-28-4.jpg lam10-28-5.jpg All photos our original out of my collection.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  14. trussell

trussell Active Member

15. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

This money has sure worked hard for us, hasn't it?

Eaglefawn and usmc60 like this.
  16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Never knew there was a 1909 Georgia quarter.:blackalien:

Eaglefawn likes this.
  17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Here's my hideous 1877 IHC
    1877 Indian Head Cent - Obverse #1.JPG

1877 Indian Head Cent - Reverse #1.JPG

usmc60 likes this.
  18. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

1859type1indianheadcentobv.jpg 1859type1indianheadcent rev.jpg This one sure seen a lot of use. Type 1 indian head.

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I would say not too bad for 150-year-old coin.Even though it may look like it rolled from the East Coast to the West Coast and back.:blackalien:

20. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Those of you who appreciate the findings of this thread will probably love the book
    "Keep the Change: A Collector's Tales of Lucky Pennies, Counterfeit C-Notes, and Other Curious Currency" by Harley Spiller. The book deals with the opposite side of the rarities market by appreciating coins found in gutters, embedded in streets and some tortured beyond comprehension. The author also appeared on Episode 102 of "The Coin Show." He definitely instills an appreciation for the beauty of mangled or horrifically altered coins.

usmc60 likes this.
  21. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I have always found it interesting trying to determine what happened to some of these coins. And it's good to see others enjoy the beauty of these coins. Which only nature time, and of course the help of human beings to make these coins look like they do today. Sir I want to thank you for your quote. And I can only hope others will add to this thread. I personally believe it's a loss of any member who feels these kind of coins is garbage and not worth wasting their time. Each one of these coins has a story. And I've always found it fun trying to figure out that story. Like the member who displayed that half-dollar with a bullet impression. And like my dime follow up, it took me a while to figure out what kind of bullet cause that damage in the dime but I believe I did. Unfortunately I do not have that members half-dollar in hand so I can do a comparison against's various caliber hollowpoint's to determine which one may have caused that damage. Unless it member actually knows. And shot the coin himself. As I have done many times on the range. Unfortunately I have not found any of the coins that I shot at. But I did manage to find this dime. w I was shooting at a quarter.Again thank you and hope to see some of your oddities.:happy::happy::blackalien:

Draft saved Draft deleted