2016 Lincoln Penny error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Write2bfree, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

Hi all,

Was looking at this penny and saw this bump on the reverse as well as few other things after taking a look. Is this normal? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Obverse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reverse
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Write2bfree

[​IMG]

4. Write2bfree

[​IMG]

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not worth anything but it is a nice plating bubble. Very common on zinc pennies.

dwhiz and Mad Stax like this.
  6. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Pics aren't very clear but that looks like a die chip above the shield. Can re image the coins with better light and clearer zoom? Anyway if that is a die chip someone will want it.

7. Collecting Nut

Not a die chip. It's a plating bubble. I have hundreds of them. The area I work in is infested with them. Easy to see when in hand. :)

MKent likes this.
  8. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Well my eyes are not good enough to make out those pics. I haven't seen '16P cents here in East Texas. In fact I've been at the house since mid June with health problems or I would have several rolls of '16D cents put up by now and probably traded for some P rolls. Oh well hopefully I'll be up and out soon. Can you take a better pic of those plating bubbles I don't usually see them after the '90's. Thanks

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I would point out that the United States mints a coin called the Lincoln cent, not the Lincoln penny, but judging by the recent explosion of "penny" threads, I suppose it's a useless endeavor.:wacky:

10. Collecting Nut

Cent or penny, it all spends the same. :)

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The only entertainment you can get for a cent these days is putting it on a railroad track.

12. Collecting Nut

In Pennsylvania I have only seen 2 16-D's. Sorry to hear about your health problems. I will say a prayer for you. :)

13. Write2bfree

I do have a question, how can you tell if a coin is missing the mint mark (not talking about the one I just posted)? I tried looking for information but they always sway away from the general question so I thought I ask.

14. Write2bfree

Thank you everyone for your input...ill post up better pictures for those who had trouble seeing the pictures

15. Write2bfree

Are die chips common?

16. Write2bfree

Here are some better. Pictures hopefully
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You know I hate to say it. This shows you that people are different though their terminology may be incorrect to you. To them penny is embedded in their files in their brain. Just maybe when they were a young child mama or daddy used to tell them a penny for your thoughts. Not a cent for your thoughts. Or for what ever reason penny got filed in their brain not cents. I personally have to train myself to use the proper terminology on this site, to avoid the conflict it causes by not using the proper terminology. It's unfortunate on this site too many members make a mountain out of a mole hill when other members do not use the right terminology. You have to look at it this way. If you could get one of those people to use cents instead of pennies, then you've accomplished something. But like many people a penny is a cent there is no difference to them though they may be incorrect in their terminology. Basically they just don't care. I can only personally speak for myself I am not a professional and I do not intend to be a professional. when it comes to coins. My terminology may be incorrect to others. But to myself and many others can relate to in proper terminology concerning coins. It's unfortunate but that's reality.:eek::blackalien:

18. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Another common anomaly is die subsidence for this area of the shield. This could be an early stage, but it's hard to tell from the pictures. It looks like a crack below the 'bump'. I had posted a thread for a progression of this in a roll I had.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/progression-of-a-die-subsidence-error-shield-cent.280425/

Write2bfree likes this.
  19. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

pennies also shoot pretty good with a sling shot.

20. Write2bfree

Is this the case with the VDB? because it seems like it's doubled as well as the eye lid area.

21. Write2bfree

I disagree....better when thrown like a diskette

Draft saved Draft deleted