2016 Lincoln cent MS68

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by dchjr, Feb 5, 2017.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They know how to play their game, that's why. That should tell us one thing. CAC isn't too excited at at all at buying these modern coins at the TPGs' price guides, who are those price guides for? They're for the suckers on eBay and collectors right here and in the other coin forums, they're not for anybody smart.

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You're laughable, now. That's PCGS saying all that. Don't you have any sense? It's like their guarantees. If they say they screwed up, then they'll reimburse you. You're really trying hard, now. You're hanging on for dear life, now, defending your naivety...
    How many did they grade all together, three? And tell @Insider who's relying on your "research" where these three submitters got these 2016 cents. They got them all at McDonalds, for gosh sakes! What does he think, they got them direct from the Mint? They got them in circulation...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

There is a company that does the CAC thing with modern coins called QA Check

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: ...and you know that because you were there...! :arghh: Please stop spinning yarns you cannot back up.

Now, let me help you out. If a member here gets enough rolls of 2016 cents as soon as they are available from the Mint or bank and goes through them, from what I have seen in 2015, anything below MS-63 Red will be extremely rare. Most coins will be 64's due to spotting rather than marks. Most coins without spots will grade MS-65 or 66 Red. There will also be a number of 67's. Depending on the mint and when the coins were made and how they were handled, you WILL PROBABLY find an MS-68 if you have enough rolls. Remember, these coins are DUMPED into huge ballistic bags and shipped in trucks!

Next, trying to get what you believe to be 1 or 2 MS-68's into a PCGS slab....Good Luck! :p

6. coldreach

coldreach Junior Member

So If "I" have one what is it worth?

eddiespin likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Quit asking such practical questions, you're going to confuse him. :)

8. coldreach

coldreach Junior Member

You are cranky...:( I am here because I am reading the tread.). I am a newbie. You have knowledge that I would like to know. I wonder why you are on this site if you do not want to share this knowledge. You seem to KNOW every thing, and you were kind of nasty to the last guy. I Just hope you did not discourage him from collecting,

Insider likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think if that ANACS 68 was mine, I'd put it out there for sale on eBay. It won't get $2,500, but it might be well worth your while.

10. Sentless5150

Sentless5150 New Member

The 2010 is the one to look for ms67 and above may very well pay you the big money and they should'nt have feathers stuck to it lol

11. coldreach

coldreach Junior Member

I have never heard of ms67. I know I am New but that is weird! You need to stop edited the people Who are trying to learn!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  12. coldreach

coldreach Junior Member

It is not RIGHT and it is not NICE!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Pcgs has one on coinfacts MS67 valued at 1650

14. hic

hic Member

hi - i too, have always wondered about this "magnification" issue - guess i'm the kinda guy who doesn't mind wearing a "C/Z" - because, really - how many people are gonna whip out a lope and examine the thing?....my personal feelings - if ya can't see it with the naked eye - it's not there! (smile) - ditto for coin collecting - to sit there with a magnifying glass and examine every micro inch of a coin looking for imperfections to me, detracts from enjoying the collection....yes - if i can see it with the naked eye - it's a concern - if not - as phil robertson is fond of saying, i'm "happy, happy" happy"! thanks!

15. hic

hic Member

hi - is the only reason you had these graded, was to resell? - because i've never had ANYTHING graded, i have no idea what it costs....though i can't imagine taking a chance to have something graded in the HOPES that it will sell...sure - paying a grading fee for a shiny 2016 penny and then reselling it for hundreds or thousands of dollars MORE sounds really great....but so does taking the same amount of money and going to vegas and putting on 17 black......sounds like a BIG gamble to me - and the value of coins to me are about the beauty in the ART - not the resale.... that's why i'm a collector and not an investor / flipper.....thanks!

16. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I actually only had it graded, to fill an order that was running a special. Yes, I went through rolls of them to find the best one. Not as easy as it sounds. Most circulation coins are damaged during handling or not struck well to begin with. I got lucky with the one. I had estimated that it would grade above MS65, so the gamble was lessened. It cost about $11 to get it graded, slabbed, and shipping and the return would have been close to the same at a MS66. My original thought was to keep it for a few years. If it goes up in price, great. If it goes down, then dang, but still an MS68 will keep value as it gets older. I've explored selling it to see what kind of interest there is. The hard part IS trying to sell it. I've shown it to several dealers and collectors, but being so new no one wants it, especially at the price listing for such a coin. So, unless a good offer comes along I'll keep it for $11.

17. hic

hic Member

oh! - my apologies - guess i hadn't read your original posted accurately - based on the quality - thought you had broken open a mint set and then had the coin graded - didn't realize it was from a roll - GREAT find!! - in contract - wonder what a 2016 penny FROM a mint set would grade? that would be interesting! thanks!

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I can't believe people pay for high graded zinc cents. The population can only increase and the value can only go down. To me, it is worth 1 cent.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Someone answer me a question: if one were to get a modern Lincoln slabbed and graded, would, at some point, the collector have a slabbed blob of zinc?

20. hic

hic Member

can't speak for anyone else - though i think the point is that while cents ARE minted in the billions - "high grades" - not necessarily so....but i do see your point! thanks!

21. hic

hic Member

eventually....we're ALL going to be nothing more than slabs of zinc....and other associated chemicals - enjoy life and collecting while you can....unless heaven includes coin collectors - and then i wonder how high THEIR coins will graded! (smile)

Draft saved Draft deleted