2016 Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RachelRuth, Mar 24, 2018.

1. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

The only thing that looks kinda doubled are the A's in America. Anyone else see it?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

IMO it appears to be MD but that's JMHO
    Dave

Harvey D likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Mechanical Doubling

PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Keep looking!

Chris

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I see it, alright. What I don't "see" is the fascination with looking for doubled anything. It's a misleading meme that has our hobby in a temporary stranglehold.

Trish likes this.
  7. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Well, in all honesty its how I get to relax and take time for just me. All other time is spent chasing my grand-kids and my 2 year old. So it's extremely relaxing to me.

Rachel

8. Harvey D

Harvey D Member

I agree, it’s my time to wind down and it’s so relaxing to just sit down and start going through your coins! To me it’s like treasury hunting because you never know what you’re gonna find!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

My point is - SOMEBODY told you that searching coins for "doubling" was "a thing" in numismatics. They lied to you.

Clawcoins, Bud1 Wilson and PlanoSteve like this.
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

There is a plethora of MD coins (read: mechanical doubling or machine doubling) out there, & if that's what makes you happy (relaxed), that's fine.

Just know that while they may be interesting to some, they add absolutely NO additional value to the coin (& there are so many of them, not to mention die deterioration issues!). :jawdrop:

On the other hand, IF you do find an actual Doubled Die, in circulation, that would be something. (Then immediately go buy a lotto ticket because your time is due! :joyful:)
    Check out some of the "Doubled Die" threads on CT to see the difference. But whatever, keep doing what you enjoy doing (I have 9 grandkids so I know what that's about.) :D

Harvey D likes this.
  11. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

Bad news is tough Ruth, Bud and I got shot down today also...bummer in a Lincoln.
    Bad news is had to take Ruth, Bud and I got it also today on a Lincoln Cent.

Attached Files:

Harvey D likes this.
  12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

VKB...finding a doubled die like the 1955 cent has always been a huge draw. With research sites like Wexler and so many others the hobby is encouraged to look for them. But I agree with you there is so much more: strength of strike, color, luster, die breaks, cuds, clashing...to name a few. I look for these daily from coin change, but my main focus is finding that 1973-S AU58 RedBrown that survived circulation. About a month ago while CRH, I ran across a red 1955-S LWC. Upon closer inspection, it was AU55 and cleaned and polished. But beautiful.

But to me the biggest take- away is learning and now knowing the differences between a true DD coin and MD. That and die deterioration issues.

And I learned it right here on CoinTalk from you and all the other mighty fine folks.

Rachel...great pics! You relax, girl. Technically now...your 2016 is showing no wear but some gouges, scrapes and scratches. And the reverse bands appear intact, so I would call this one a keeper at MS60 FSB. I see the doubling you mentioned on the "A"s, but thought immediately, like Dave363, it was MD. True doubling would not isolate the letters like that, imho. Good Coin!

Spark

Harvey D likes this.
  13. Harvey D

Harvey D Member

Same here, I have been collecting coins for 38 years just because I like the different looks of them but never really studied them until recently so I have a lot to learn. The doubled dies really confuse me though, lol.. I have been searching for the 92D close AM Lincoln and the 82D small date Copper. I’ve heard they’re almost impossible to find but that’s the whole fun in it! I saw your post about the 1973S. I just found one the other day, don’t know anything about it. Looks to be in good condition. If you wanna see pictures just let me know.

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Harvey D... while CRH 4 days ago I found a vf20 1946-S, a 1973 philly in au53 and a 1973-S in au55. Those were the oldest in same roll. Getting really hard to come across wheats now. After a 3-day acetone soak they looked good. All had only basic wear with no other damage to lettering or date, and no excessive contact marks. It's way late now but I will post the 1973-S asap tomorrow, er...I mean later today. (1974 was the last year for business strike cents to get a San Francisco mint mark, only proof cents after that).

Spark

ps I will start a new thread on this.

Harvey D likes this.
  15. Bud1 Wilson

Mechanical Doubling....Bud is beginning to dislike that term... S20180306_0002.jpg could we use somethings else like "maybe" MINT ERROR?

Harvey D likes this.
  16. PlanoSteve

NO!

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. Bud1 Wilson

No! Leaves ( no ) wiggle room. But Bud knows rules are rules S20180306_0002.jpg

Harvey D likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Doug and Jim got to Bud, huh? Does he teach a remedial course to rebels?

Harvey D and Bud1 Wilson like this.
  19. Bud1 Wilson

Bud is a little crushed now Mr B.. Looking for some comforting.. S20180306_0002.jpg

Harvey D likes this.
  20. PlanoSteve

Correct, no wiggle room. And it's not so much a rule as it is a fact! :happy::happy::happy:

Harvey D likes this.
  21. Bud1 Wilson

Got IT thanks for being nice! Makes Bud feel better S20180306_0002.jpg

Harvey D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted