2016 dime Die scrapes?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eric6794, Dec 29, 2019.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Feeder finger or die scrapes, I need a new st of eyes on this. I've been working alot again recently and my brain and eyes are not agreeing with each other lol. The lines appear raised and behind the bust of Roosevelt. 16d1.jpg 16d2.jpg 16d3.jpg 16d4.jpg 16d5.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It's truthfully hard to tell with the photos, but the difference in shades/tone where those "scratches" appear and the rest of the coin make me think it's really a struck through grease vs die scratches.

eric6794 likes this.
  4. eric6794

I know, this micro usb has led me astray a few times, it does look similar to the grease filled dies that the US quarter series had but it looks like it is behind the bust. I may be wrong. 16d6.jpg 16d7.jpg

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Would the random action associated with a grease-filled die create lines that are perfectly parallel? ~ Chris

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm hoping you're not asking a rhetorical question, because I'm pretty sure you know this answer better than I do. The answer is most likely not, because they're too straight and do not bend towards Roosevelt's head. Grease would travel to the nearest device, so it would likely have a more radial pattern vs what we are looking at. I mentioned that I can't make out whether those are die scratches, and was simply remarking about the different shades that mirror what I see on struck through grease coins. I've not personally seen a coin with die scratches that had a different color than the rest of the coin, which pushes me towards them not being die scratches, or at least something else at play.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It was intended solely for the benefit of others. ~ Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. eric6794

I wouldn't think that a grease filled die could produce perfectly parallel lines it would seem to reason that if it was to produce any lines at all it would be chaotic and have no sense of direction. Personally I have never seen any struck through that has any type of lines but I haven't seen everything. @Seattlite86 this coin even in hand under a loop exhibits the same shade/tone but it still has the same parallel lines that goes under the bust and from what I can tell it is raised. I am at a loss. The closest I can find on google is die scrapes.

Draft saved Draft deleted