2016 Boeing show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Eng, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

We had our 2016 Boeing club show in Kent Wa. this weekend. The weather was good for here rain, rain.
    IMG_20160116_143724254_opt.jpg If you have small local club everyone brings there own cases. we borrow about 85 coin cases from the PNNA for the folks coming from out of town. rent a truck on Friday load and drop off Saturday morning.:)

IMG_20160118_101500875_opt.jpg

After setting all the coin cases out for the dealers i set my 4 cases up. i don't have alot of ancient to sale, but a few.
    IMG_20160116_090616944_opt.jpg
    These three trays are what i was selling.
    IMG_20160116_090626717_HDR_opt.jpg

As i started off to look around, Cindy from Anacs was setting up went to say hi, she was the only cointalker i saw. what a sweetheart.
    IMG_20160116_094242040_HDR_opt.jpg

As i went looking around, there were 5 people that sold Ancients and 5 of us that sold ancients with other coins. One dealer of ancients had nice stuff but they were very over priced and didn't sell much.
    IMG_20160116_092253700_HDR_opt.jpg

It was slow to start for me in the morning, as lunch time came people started to show up and started to do some business, our club buys lunch for the dealers 5 star dinning, i think Cindy ate everything.:D
    IMG_20160116_123400025_opt.jpg

Sunday would be slow, Seadogs were playing at 10 and we open at 10. very slow, lot of dealers went home.
    IMG_20160117_150203566_opt.jpg

One person asked if i had any Chinese Panda coins, which i did not, he told me the dealer next to had a bunch of fake 2016 Pandas, so i bought one and went on line to find out what was fake. i paid $15
    IMG_20160118_071105790_opt.jpg IMG_20160118_071127835_HDR_opt (1).jpg
    looked at all the fakes on the net, few things that jump out seeing copper, weight, so i cut my coin to see if there was any copper..:eek: No. i think its real. i let the dealer know this afternoon in a message.

green18, Tater and Jwt708 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Her's my cut Panda coin.:oops:
    IMG_20160118_131947787_opt.jpg

we pick up at 4pm, load the truck and today we back to drop off out cases to the
    PNNA, they have about 140 coin cases.
    IMG_20160118_101510157_HDR_opt.jpg
    Love a two day show, get to alot folks, make a few bucks.:)

green18, midas1, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

What do you do for boeing?

5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

My father in law worked for them for 40 plus years, stuff like the minute man rocket or anything that went Boom..so i'm able to be in there club( you have to work for them or be retired, you or family member to be in the club).

jwitten likes this.
  6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I'm a retired meatcutter of 34 years.:)

jwitten likes this.
  7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Sounds like you had a great time. My company has some "stuff" on Boeing Aircraft.

Eng likes this.
  8. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Very cool, thank you for the report.

The dealer was selling pandas for $15? That alone would be fishy since its too good a price to be true. He'd have to be losing a few dollars per coin.

Eng likes this.
  9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

The dealer was selling the Pandas for $30, after a guy said the were fake he wouldn't sell them. i collect fake coins and currency and asked him to sell one to me and he did for $15. after i check it out, i message him that i felt they were real.

Tinpot likes this.
  10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe it's just the lightimg but my first impression was that something was slightly off with that panda design. Which I saw before I read your post. So I was like cool I noticed a fake panda then you said real and I was like huh. Again maybe it's just the lighting that made me think the design was off but still... do you have access to an xrf? Or even an acid silver scratch test now that it's cut anayway lol

Eng likes this.
  11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Thanks for sharing. Speaking of Boeing, I was given this several years ago. Gifted a mans daughter a toy at my restaurant and he was visiting Barksdale AFB and said he had a few of them left from an event he attended. It's one of two challenge coins I own.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

green18, Jwt708 and Eng like this.
  12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I have not seen this medal before, very cool, i don't think its a Boeing club medal, Boeing has a Store that has coins, medals and more.

I bought the Panda as a fake, got it cheap, i wanted to show a copper core, which wasn't there.:)

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the trip report! I don't know enough about Pandas to offer an opinion except to ask if you've done the ice test.

Eng likes this.
  14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Hi Jack, no ice test, do you have info on the test.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well just put a piece of ice on it and watch how fast it melts. If it's silver it will melt faster than if it was just a hunk of lead.

Eng likes this.
  16. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Pretty unlikely its a fake due to the fact 2016's just came out.

Eng likes this.
  17. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Well since there is some interest in the Panda, i took a ice cube, put it on top of the Panda for 8 minutes, it seem to melt it.
    IMG_20160119_110745239_HDR_opt.jpg

How much is the key, so i got a fake Trade Dollar and a silver round to see how much melting in 8 minutes. ;) after 8 min. all three were about the same.o_O
    IMG_20160119_113055914_HDR_opt.jpg

Pulled out my silver acid test, the Panda held up ok. before,
    IMG_20160119_111046753_HDR_opt.jpg
    Silver acid test..
    IMG_20160119_111237924_opt.jpg
    Tested the silver round and fake Trade Dollar. the fake trade held up about the same as the Panda, the silver rd. much better, still i thick the Panda is real. I did a ring test, silver rd had the best silver ring.

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whenever I did it I usually used a small piece of ice. I would put it on the silver and could literally watch it melt and it was fast. .A similar piece of ice placed on a clad coin would not melt as fast. Also the silver would be very cold. Not very scientific..

I think I misunderstood...did the Panda pass the acid test?

19. Christian Golden

Christian Golden New Member

If that silver panda is real i will eat both boots.

20. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

CG, could you give reasons why you think its fake. it maybe helpful to some of us here on the forum.

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I cannot see your photos well enough to say with absolute certanty, but the overall appearance does seem, for the lack of a better term, "off". I've always found the overall quality of the Pandas to be quite high, and there's just something about this one that seems lacking. Also, after spending a few minutes comparing photos of genuine examples, your coin looks as if there are a number of minor design differences, particularly in the layout of the leaves (in the sectioned off areas) below and above the panda, while genuine examples match. Unfortunately, flipping back and forth on a phone isn't an ideal means of comparison, particularly with a less than clear (no offense intended, of course) photo. Perhaps, since you still have it, you could take a closer look.

Eng likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted