2016 atb kentucky quarter, need help please

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin1979, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

I have a 2016 atb quarter with with a satin finish on both the front and back. Is this normal? Previous years on washingtons face were shiny this one is not. also on the reverse the background is shiny on previous years, this on is not. Im posting pics and any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Photos please!

Chris

4. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks normal...

6. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

Then why are previous years shiny on washingtons face? Look at a 2015 quarter.

7. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

Not to mention previous years washingtons nose is broad. On this one its slender

8. cpm9ball

Look at your background. Note that the tabletop is shiny to the west and dark to the east. You've also taken the photo at a slight angle. Reposition your camera so that it is directly overhead and place lighting at (at least) 10 & 2 o'clock.

The coin looks normal to me, too.

Chris

Kevin1979 likes this.
  9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Show us both sides and take the pictures with the coin parallel to the lens, not on an angle.

10. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

Ok thats all fine but what about washingtons nose??

11. cpm9ball

I think that was before he had a nose-job. J/K!

It looks normal to me.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

Do you know about error coins? I have a lincon cent with a minting error. Its a 1950 denver mint with a hole in lincons head. Which is interesting seeing he was assasinated

13. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

14. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The nose is different. I compared a 2015 Kisatchie with the 2016 Cumberland and the nose is different. As far as the satin finish both coins exhibit this finish. Which I hate.

15. cpm9ball

It's not a very good photo. Place your lighting at a 45-degree angle to the subject while the camera is directly overhead. That way, the reflection doesn't bounce into the lens.

Chris

16. Kevin1979

Kevin1979 Member

So is the nose a significat find or no?

17. cpm9ball

It's possible that there can be some minor differences between dies like the "Blunt 9" and "Pointed 9" on the Rosie dime, but it shouldn't make much of a difference. Let's suppose that one die differed, like yours, from the others. It's likely that tens of thousands of coins were struck using that die. It wouldn't be considered rare or valuable.

Chris

Mojavedave likes this.
  18. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I don't see it as anything other than normal operating procedure for the mint. As much as the quarter has been experimented with since 1999 any changes are not some new novelty. Even a nose job for Washington. What would be novel is if the mint paid a little extra for some better planchets and a slightly more upset rim. The beating devices take on coins these days is awful. And for good measures go ahead and increase the pressure on the press. It doesn't have to be much.

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I gave an answer on you other thread pertaining to this Cent. A hole in the head? Could just be a minor struck through or just Post Mint Damage.
    Calling it an assassination Cent is Morbid and really not interesting..:yack:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Where's the beef ....
    45o.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted