2016-2017 Acquisitions, my 6th year anniversary.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I have collected a few coins within the last 2 years, there are a few more that I really like but the limit is 10 and that will have to do and honestly, I think it's enough too. Maybe I can post more coins in follow up posts if you like. I am just too tired to do a proper write-up tonight but I will later, the next time I do it.

philip-ii-princepi-secret-saturnalia.jpg

Roman Imperial, Philip II as Caesar (247-249 AD), AR Antoninianus

Obverse: M IVL PHILPPVS CAES, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: PRINCIPI IVVENT, The prince standing left, holding globe and spear.

Reference: RIC 218d, RSC 48.

Ex: Coin Talk - Secret Saturnalia - https://www.cointalk.com/threads/its-that-time-of-year-again-my-friends-secret-saturnalia.305362/

alexander-prutah-2017-1.jpg

Alexander Jannaeus, Hasmonean AE Prutah, 103-76 BC

Obverse: "Yehonatan the High Priest & the Council of the Jews", Four lines of Hebrew text within wreath.

Reverse: Two joined cornucopias, ribbons on each side, pomegranate between, all within dotted circle border.

Reference: Hendin 473

Ex: Tom Mullally

gordian-3-reshoot-1.jpg

Roman Provincial Edessa, Mesopotamia, Gordian III (238-244 AD) with Abgar X Phraates, AE24 apx

Obverse: AVTOK K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC CЄ, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right; star to right.

Reverse: Rev: ABΓAPOC BACIΛЄVC, Draped bust of Abgar right, wearing tiara; star to left.

Reference: BMC Arabia 144, SNG Copenhagen 225

Quang Trung Thong Bao-viet-nam-1788-1792.jpg

Annam (Vietnam) Cash, Tây Sơn Dynasty Rebellion, Quang Trung (1788-1792 AD), AE24 Cash, 1.95g, 24mm

Obverse: 光中通寶, Quang Trung Thông Bảo. Thick outter rim, thin rim around square hole.

Reverse: No legend. Thick outter rim, four crescents in field surrounding square hole with thin rim.

Reference: Toda 193, Barker 93.28

Ex: Kayser-i Rum Numismatics

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=169633

greek-illyiria-dyrrhachion.jpg

Ancient Greek, Dyrrhachium, Illyria AR Drachm (250-200 BC), Magistrates; Theodotos and Philonos, 19.6 mm, 3.37, 3h

Obverse: ΘEOΔOTOΣ, Cow standing right, looking left, suckling calf, cornucopia below.

Reverse: ΦI-ΛΩ-NOΣ, Double stellate pattern.

Reference: Ceke 230, Maier 392

Ex: Tom Mullally

valentinian-ii-wreath.jpg

Roman Imperial, Valentinian II (378-383 AD) AE 3/4

Obverse: DN VALENTIANVS PF AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: VOT-XX-MVLT-XXX in four lines within wreath. Mintmark ANTA.

Reference: RIC IX Antioch 58b

Ex: Kayser-i Rum Numismatics +photo

Gallienus-Minerva.jpg

Roman Imperial, Gallienus (265 AD), BI Antoninianus, Sole reign, Antioch mint

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: MINERVA AVG dot, Minerva standing right, with spear and shield. Mintmark: branch.

Reference: RIC 651 Asian mint, Goebl 1634b, Sear 10290

Komana-Pontos.jpg

Ancient Greek, Komana, Pontos, Autonomous civic issue (c.120 BC), AE

Obverse: No legend. Aegis shield with facing Gorgon center.

Reverse: KOMA-NΩΝ, Nike advancing right, holding palm over shoulder with both hands, monograms left and right.

Reference: HGC7-281

Judaea-first-revolt.jpg

Ancient East, Judaea, Jewish First Revolt (67-68 AD) AE Prutah, Year 2

Obverse: Year two in ancient Hebrew script, amphora with fluted body, broad rim and two handles.

Reverse: The freedom of Zion in ancient Hebrew, vine leaf on a small branch.

Reference: Hendin 661, AJC II P.260 11a

Herennius Etruscus-Syria.jpg

Roman Provincial Antioch ad Orontem - Syria, Herennius Etruscus Caesar (250-251 AD) BI Tetradrachm

Obverse: EPENN ETPOV ME KV ΔEKIOC KECAP, Barehead draped bust seen from behind three dots below.

Reverse: ΔHMAPX EΞOVCIAC, SC, Eagle standing left head left, wings spread, standing on palm, wreath in beak.

Reference: Mcalee 1153, Prieur 632

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat. I don't normally gravitate to Judaean coins, for some reason (that's changing a bit, though). It was your Judaean here that caught my eye.

Gil-galad likes this.
  4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Those coins are fun to collect because it will take you awhile to find one that you really like and so I've been patient and waited.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All nice coins, but I love that AR Drachm.

Gil-galad likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yeah, that's nice. Normally would've been the one that caught my eye first. But for some reason, the Judaean just "spoke to me" this time. I like the amphora and the grape leaf, and the way the patina makes them stand out.

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Agree that Judaism is one of the best I have seen, as a rule they are mostly worn with little detail but this one has heaps of eye Appeal.

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Here are three more coins for ya.

Tabaristan-Afzut-type, PYE137.jpg

Ancient Middle-East Arab-Sasanian, Abbassid Governors of Tabaristan, AR Hemidrachm, 136 PYE (Post Yazdgard Era = AH 170 = 786/787 AD)

Obverse: AFZWT, Right facing bust imitating Khusru II, wearing winged crown surmounted by star and crescent, inside single-dotted border, crescents with stars at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Pahlavi date and mintmark in lower left and right margins.

Reverse: Sasanian style fire altar with two attendants standing facing, crescents on their heads, both hands on sword hilt, inside triple dotted-border, crescents with stars at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock, three pellets at the diagonals.

Reference: Album 73, Malek 175

Alexander-III.jpg

Ancient Greek, Macedonian Kings, Alexander III (336-323 BC) AE, Sardes mint

Obverse: No legend. Heracles head right, clad in Nemean lion head dress tied at neck.

Reverse: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Quiver at top facing left, Club pointing right, trident monogram below.

Reference: Price 2552, Müller 0841

Ex: Kayser-i Rum Numismatics

postumus-ant-felicitus-reshoot.jpg

Roman Imperial, Postumus (263-265 AD) AR Antoninianus, Treveri mint, 3.46g, 22.3mm, 1h

OBV: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right.

REV: FELICI-TAS AVG, Felicitas standing left with long caduceus & cornucopiae.

REF: RIC 58, RSC 39 A, Sear 10936

EX: Tom Mullally

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Welcome back, Gil. You picked up some nice stuff there. I especially like the toned Philip Jr. and the Komana.

Gil-galad likes this.
  10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super group!!

My favorites echo Zumbly---the Komana and Philip Jr....but the prutah and the Gordian/Abgar bronze are a close second!! :)

13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

nice group. I really like the Illyria drachm

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice @Gil-galad ! I agree with @lordmarcovan , I don't really collect nor have real interest in Judaean coins, but yours with the upside-down Canadian Maple Leaf is cool.

Yeah, Judaea founded Canada (@Orfew and @Severus Alexander will historically vouch for this.) LOL, I love to mess up history... hey, it is the internet, trying to make things go viral :D

I also really like your Annan and the Illyria! Nice!

Here is a Val II

RI Valentinian II 375-392 CE AE4 Chi Rho.jpg
    RI Valentinian II 375-392 CE AE4 Chi Rho

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Gil-galad, Curtisimo, Orfew and 4 others like this.
  15. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

The masada prutahs are one of my all time favorites and yours has a nice patina. Stunningly beautiful patina on the Gorgonian from Pontos!

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins and I agree with LM, I like the Judaean coins.

After all these years I have still yet to buy any.

I like your Pontos too.

17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great set, my eye was especially drawn to the unusual Vietnamese cash... cool rebellion issue!

Gil-galad likes this.
  18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Yeah, I like those Vietnam cash as well. I won't collect too many of them though.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Here are three last coins I will show. I'm getting into the late Romans and Byzantine.

maurice-tiberius-resize.jpg

Byzantine Empire, Maurice Tiberius (582-602 AD) AE Follis, Theopolis mint

Obverse: DN MAV G I CN P AVG, Crowned and mantled facing bust, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre.

Reverse: Large M, ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year to right, officina letter below. THEUO in exergue.

Reference: SB 533

constans-soliders-standard.jpg

Roman Imperial, Constans (346-348 AD) AE3, Constantinopolis mint

Obverse: DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG, Laureate head right.

Reverse: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, Two soldiers flanking one standard. Mintmark: CONS(?)

Reference: RIC VIII Constantinoplis 44

constantius-2-vot.jpg

Roman Imperial, Constantius II (347-348 AD) AE 3/4, Antioch mint

Obverse: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG, Pearl diademed head right.

Reverse: VOT XX MVdotLT XXX within wreath. Mintmark SMANA

Reference: RIC VIII Antioch 113 var

Ex: Kayser-i Rum Numisamtics +photo

Johndakerftw, Bing, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I cannot look at your screen name without remembering this...

Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
    Of him the harpers sadly sing;
    the last whose realm was fair and free
    between the Mountains and the Sea.

One of my favourite poems from LOTR.

21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

There are a lot of very good poems in LotR book series. I used to read the Silmarillion all the time after I get tired of reading the trilogy and the Hobbit. I like a lot of characters including Gil-galad, it's a name I decided to pick back in 1996 when I first got online and was on AOL. I wanted to be anonymous and no one would know my name. It worked out well but I no longer need to do that but still use the name.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted