2016 10 Cent Multi-error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jeff Callahan, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

A friend of mine handed me this coin tonight and I decided to post it here for you guys to discuss. Aside from the obvious error, I noticed additional features about. I always got picked on by some members for seeing errors on coins when there weren't any, which comes with being a novice. I have actually all but stopped coin collecting and really never advanced any further. For that reason, I prefer not to list what I saw to save face because I am still a novice. I know that a lot of you guys know what to look for and can eliminate what others see as errors immediately. I look forward to seeing your comments. 20230609_004743.jpg 20230609_005041.jpg 20230609_005158.jpg 20230609_005632.jpg 20230609_005800.jpg 20230609_005934.jpg 20230609_010315.jpg 20230609_011154.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

The lack of the blakesy effect across from the missing chunk on the dime makes me think its more likely damage than an error. The strike also seems pretty sharp for a coin that had a piece missing when it was struck. I'm not an expert on errors by any means, but I always think its best to think horses instead of zebras when dealing with coins. Think common and work from there, it usually helps.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

VistaCruiser69 and -jeffB like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is no mint error of any kind.
    It's DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged :yack:

Somehow the clad on the Obverse broke off exposing the copper in between the planchet. The raised rim on the Reverse also looks dented a bit.
    Only person who caused the damage would know how it occurred.

Just because you see something different, strange or weird doesn't automatically make it an error.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I know, especially people. :rolleyes:;)

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was trying to decide whether it could've been a lamination that fell off after striking. It looks like damage, but the lack of corresponding damage on the reverse rules out some possible causes.

@Jeff Callahan, I'm sorry that you've been made to feel unwelcome in the past. Errors are a tricky topic, and the Internet is overrun with clickbait videos ("You can RETIRE if you find this RARE ERROR in your POCKET CHANGE!!!"), so we get lots and lots of people coming in with damaged coins hoping they've struck it rich. Some of them get pretty testy when we try to explain that their "find" is worth no more than its face value. So some of us are harsher than we should be on newcomers, which can turn off ones who are honestly trying to learn.

Mountain Man and Mr. Numismatist like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me that looks damaged but it is very different from what we normally see.

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hi Jeff - as noted this looks likes damage. Glad you posted the reverse because as noted, the absence of the Blakesley Effect would indicate that the coin planchet was whole during the coining process. Hard to say what caused the damage or how it was produced, but almost certainly damage. The rim damage to the reverse adds to that conclusion.

I hope you find your way back into the hobby. Don't be too discouraged by the sometimes harsher responses. It's as much your hobby as it is anyone else's.

Draft saved Draft deleted