2015 U.S. Silver proof set Kennedy dollar error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pha_quat_youth_inc, May 29, 2015.

1. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432929026.754398.jpg
    I got the 2015 U.S. Silver proof mint set and all the coins look great except for the Kennedy dollar. I think it's an error in the composition of the metal but the way it appears I'm not sure. The obverse is fine so I did not add a pic and the line going across is not on the coin I think it's a scratch on my camera. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. my question is on the discoloration

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's hard to tell -- the photo's kind of blurry, but to be honest, even a perfectly sharp photo may not help. I'm not sure any single photo would be enough to tell whether it's something on the surface of the coin, or a problem with the plating.

If I received this from the Mint, I'd request a return and exchange, I think.

5. I thought about returning them but its not like its scratched or anything and it is different so I thought I would keep it. I'm also not sure if its a plating issue or not. It looks like it happened during the striking of the coin based on the o in of but it looks splotchy so I guess I'm just wondering what would change the color that drastically.

6. Also I'm still kinda new at this but is the coin struck then plated or plated the struck

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Plated, then struck.

8. That's what I thought so either its problem with the plating being discolored or there was something on the die when it was struck so I guess without breaking it out there would be no way of knowing. Even then there would still probably be no way of knowing. So I just thought I would keep it instead of returning it since it is different and although it may not bring any premium to the set (not that I plan on selling it) I thought it would be unique enough to keep since it did come from the mint that way whatever the issue its still different.

Draft saved Draft deleted