2015 U.S. Marshals Service coins sell early to officials of agency

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Oct 17, 2014.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I guess you'll have to start "reading" the laws as they are signed so that you can share or at least let others know.

I mean, this "law" enacting these commemorative was signed in April of 2012. It's not like its a big surprise or anything. It was always there.

How many more? Who cares? I know I don't. Jwitten doesn't care.

Seems like only the whiners care cause they've now got something solid ( or so it seems until you read Public Law 112-104) to whine about. Early release to celebrate that which the coin is Commemorating?? <GASP> The nerve!

Coinman_Ben likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

For accuracy, maybe NGC needs to change those labels to read Pre-Early Release.

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

And we now know you DO care, so you may move on to another thread as well... ;)

5. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

I for one am glad to see the bipartisan results that we have been promised for years. The us mint policy determines which party I vote for.

6. jwitten

I hope you are joking. You vote based on the mint policy? And people wonder why our country is in trouble.

7. Vegas Vic

Wow I didn't think anyone would for a second take that seriously. Really can you show me an example where I could swing my vote for one or the other party based on coin politics?

8. jwitten

just making sure man!

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Our country is in trouble because of us and our supposed "entitlements" coupled with our indifference unless it directly affects us.

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

No. I do care so I will stay put. The topic interests me. But if you don't care, then you really can't contribute to solve the problem.

11. Vegas Vic

Nothing gets solved here. I learned about bidnapper and Hugh wood. I learned something about fakes and how to approach them. I have learned a number of other cool coin things but I'm pretty sure none of the worlds problems are solved on coinchat. :smuggrin:

12. jwitten

So only people who agree with you can stay and discuss? I DO care enough to tell you it is not a big deal to me. So I think I will stay too :)

13. steve1942

steve1942 Junior Member

The article was poorly written. When read, I thought a small number, not 2 were sold to "special" friends of mint. I then read the act, Public Law 112-104, and then the whole article. Seems as thogh everything, but the media, was on the up and up. I have no problem. Having the coins graded, however, was done in bad taste. Again, the coins theirs and it's up to them to look greedy. If they go up for sale before actual release date would be crossing the line.

14. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

True, lots of unanswered questions. Did the law intend to enrich individuals or were the coins to be owned and displayed by the agency, and not to be sold. If individuals own the coins, they can be resold and on the market now. What are they worth, given the "value" of 100k for the first Kennedy gold halves, 500k or 1 million a piece?

saltysam-1 likes this.
  15. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

There is no best answer here.

How many topics do you need for the same non-issue?

If the first sets were not purchased, there would probably be an investigation for accepting bribes or something. This is a no win scenario. You would think, that with the high mintage numbers one usually sees from the US Miint, there would be enough of these coins for everyone interested. I'll wait and see.

I'm not here because I care or because I don't care. Blame Peter, he sent out the email request with this link.:p

16. someconcerns

someconcerns Member

I certainly agree with your sentiments, as long as the early release dated coins do not carry a higher value.

17. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Which they do everyday with our taxes .

18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have not bought much from the mint in years, because they are not fro collectors any more. Once on the market, most items loses their value by more than 30% or more, so just hold out and go to a show and buy. The very few, get the first minted, and then try to gig the rest.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Bingo, they were to be for display. The coins are dated 2015, but the anniversary was THIS year, and they wanted to display them this year.

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I suppose since they were for display purposes, the U.S. Marshall's Office could give them back to the mint after the anniversary period is over. Or give them to the Smithsonian for their collection, if they wish. Then ownership would not be an issue and they would remain out of the collector market. That would be a problem free way to handle it.

21. Vegas Vic

Just because there might be a moron out there who will pay big bucks the second the coin is minted means little. Mint products depreciate on average (@Chiefbullsit the average statement is just for you) faster then a new car rolling off the lot. Especially the ones hyped presale. If someone really needs to hold the coin in their hand first let them pay the crazy price.

What is your definition of higher? What someone pays right this instant or one month from now. With moderns the value changes quite quickly.

As much as I love bashing government the one thing is for the most part they are actually underpaid compared to their private market equivalents. My pay would drop maybe 60+% if I was a federal employee. My sister would make at least twice what she makes working for the Feds. My dad would probably have made two to three times what he made in the free market.

My point is no one shoots at me on a regular basis. I don't have to run into burning buildings and I don't live in poverty so I can buy my fifth grade class school supplies. If the huge bonus we give people who chase down criminals and get shot at in the process is a stupid mint coin that will be worth on average somewhere around melt in ten years and they get one early awesome. Kind of like trading beads for fur with the Indians. They deserve much more.

Could not agree more.

Draft saved Draft deleted