2015 snow on roof

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

How do you figure I misused the term cud? To believe that, one would have to assume the center of the die could be broken out without affecting the rim and still be able to strike coins. Explain a retained cud. Is it the piece broken off the die that is retained or the raised metal on the coin that is retained?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir I hope not. I can only wish that younger generation, will be able to correct this injustice to chips. And you're right you or I will probably never see it.
    Really?. I actually prefer a rim cud, and little brother chip be called a non rim cud. In actuality the cause and effect is that a piece of metal breaks off of the die. Sir for 16 years I know cud that is a piece of metal that breaks off the rim of a die. And can claim the name (DIE CUD). But if any other piece of metal breaks off the die it is presented as a (die chip). I should have presented this coin as a massive die chip, that just didn't seem appropriate for this coin. When I think of the chip I think laze potato chips. And when I hear the word cud I think of a piece of metal on the surface of a coin. And also the webster's dictionary of a cud they will be no disagreement there that these are two different things.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Go find a numismatic glossary which agrees with you. I dare you. In the meantime, I cannot allow you to spread disinformation. People who genuinely don't know the language of numismatics are reading this thread.

tomfiggy likes this.
  5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

sir back to train up, I guess you miss the numismati error glossary of numismatic terms.(CUD) a raised lump of metal an a coin. Results from metal flow during striking into the space created when a piece of the die has broken off. I guess you're not gonna let them spread this information about. too late it's on the Internet. And nowhere did it mention rim. Sir I came across a definition on the Internet that I believe we will both disagree with. numismedia Glossary of numismatic Terms. I' deftly don't agree with them.

6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir by the way the 2016 addition of the red book. there cud definition totally agrees with you. But why did they leave out Die chip definition?. They have sold over 23,000,000 copies. And NGC-NCIC has no definition four cud or die chip ? None that I can find. But they both have a definition for die.

7. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

no.... I was merely showing what pops up if someone new to the hobby tries researching.

I wasn't saying it was accurate. how did what I say/post indicate that I WANTED them to find wrong info?

also, I don't know anything about cars so I walk in say I need something this long, about this height. looks like this, goes in that slot and does whatchamacallit. I get what I need every time.

that's another subject all together...

8. SuperDave

You didn't say you wanted to give wrong information, you gave the wrong information:

"Some experts in the error-variety hobby insist that for the blob to be called a cud, the damaged part of the die must include part of the edge of the die."

No, no "experts" do that. The experts know what cuds are.

9. SuperDave

Link me. That website doesn't exist.

I will shut up the moment someone provides me with a reliable source that disagrees with me. It won't happen, because you're attempting the equivalent of calling the Sun green, but I am always ready to change my mind in the face of new evidence.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir which site did you have a hard time finding, I'd had difficulty finding the site myself I have found in your search engine go to numismatic error terminology. Sir believe me if I am capable of finding the web sites anyone can. And would you consider it a reliable source? Do you not wonder why the definition was left it out of a prominent book. And the top grading services do not have either definitions under their glossary of terms? Sir if I had a little more computer savvy this wouldn't be so difficult for me please try again and let me know what you would consider reliable sources.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I once asked for a whatchamacallit and ended up with a doohickey.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir you should at least get you would do dead, or a leased a thinumugig.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

No need to refer to these guys as "sir". Not a one is a CO. Just grunts.

As you were, 'cruit.:)

phankins11 likes this.
  14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Thank you for your reply. And I have already corrected that error.

15. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Whatchamacallit's are ok, but I liked the thingamajig much more. Of course it was only for a limited time. They don't make them anymore. :( candy.JPG

usmc60 and Kentucky like this.
  16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

To start off when I am far from being an uninformed with the research available on the web today to study and increase your knowledge, just because someone may disagree with you, does not make them ignorant or uninformed in some cases you may be right, and yes sir sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. And yes a lot of people that have access to the web are reading the same sites that I may be reading. Thus the controversy continues. (Conclusion) until the time that someone in the position to (revise) the definition of cud and chip, I asked myself this question over 16 years ago when I first started collecting error coins, why are the hardcore numismatics afraid of change it's happening around us ever day and it scares you guys to know in to think something can be (revised) example (the president is doing his best two revise gun laws.) and for those that are uninformed, the first definition of cud and die chip that I read in the beginning was by KEN PATTER, I disagreed with its 16 years ago and I still disagree with TO today, maybe it's because the engineer in me, (same cause same effect.)

17. SuperDave

You still haven't offered a link. Show me a definition that agrees with you.

phankins11 likes this.
  18. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

As I have stated previously my computer skills are really lacking, I've had technicians tell me how did you do that, an I say it's the redneck way, what ever gets it done, Dave like I had mentioned previously I went to numismatic error terminology definitions, and Dave I've found more abundance of sites, as I stated before in another post and there's one site that both you and I will disagree with. I'd discuss this with a friend of mine last week at breakfast, and he has been reading the post, he said he searched die euros terminology, and lease when I looked at the site, right at the beginning the outline portion states my opinion, but you read down the list and what you're saying is applied my friend also noted that he found more sites that says anything about the rim in the definitions. And Dave No one still has replied about the 2016 Redbook addition that over 23,000,000 people read, left out the definition of a die chip. And Dave this is only my opinion but I believe Redbook got tired of having to explain why the die cud definition is basically the same as the die chip except cud can only be on the rim. Like yours it's only my opinion.

19. SuperDave

See, that's the part you're getting wrong. It's not just our opinions, and every single numismatic reference disagrees with you.

Every. Single. One.

That's why I'm so insistent about seeing proof. I, and every other educated numismatist, knows what a cud is, all of the available experts and references agree, and there is no fact available anywhere which supports your position.

20. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Dave, all of the numismatics it is their right to disagree. And I have the right to disagree with them, and being an engineer for well over 20 years and have actually work with the same metal the mint uses to made dies, every working day for 20 years, I had been the individual who causes pressure and heat damage to this metal for well over 20 years for 8 to 12 hours a day, so I ask you Dave who is more qualified to speak about mental stress that individual who works with it every day of his working career, or a numismatics professional who has sat on his butt for 20 years and may have read all the literature and seen a lot of pitchers, but who is the most qualified individual is speak intelligently on mental stress and fatigue. I would actually like to hear from an actual mint press operator, what they have to say about this issue. and Dave I'm sure the blue collar workers on the site that actually work with this kind of metal on their job daily, can relate to were I'm coming from. You can read all the books in the world and look at all the pitchers, but these individuals are lacking one thing, actual hands on experience with this metal, Dave this is only a guess, but I think a majority of numismatics so called professionals has not actually work with this kind of metal on a daily basis. Can only express their opinions on what they have read and seen in a photos. the individuals who actually work with this kind of metal daily. No better. Dave I have worked with this metal in my career, about dime size metal rods up to 6 inches in diameter 2 feet long waiting over couple 100 pounds, For well over 20 years. Dave I can only speak for myself I have worked with this metal for well over 20 years, have you?. or had had any experience working with us, metal?. One at

21. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Some of my observations...not that they are worth anything...but,

You're correct here. It's also extremely easy to be MISinformed. I can name a few movements that *only exist* because of the interwebs and the fact that any one, imbecile or educated, can post information out there...but I'll get bad boy points from the mods.

Just last week there were a $h1t ton of people who thought Mark Zuckerburg was giving part of his fortune to some lucky person on New Year's day if they shared a specific status on Facebook...it was all over the internet...everyone was informed about it....I digress

I have, and it stunk! :cool:

You can...its really easy. All these numismatic professionals you speak of...they have working relationships with mint press operators, or with employees who can grant access to the mint press operators and the other employees at the mint...they HAVE spoken to these mint employees...and they have put those conversations and all that knowledge and the correct terms in books. All you have to do is read it...saves you the time of creating those relationships with mint employees, all that work of going to the mint and learning. So, it turns out that you can actually hear from a mint press operator by by reading the Numismatic Professional's book...its kinda why they are called Numismatic Professionals. But I'm sure you won't believe them...because all those numismatic authors have ever done is sit on their butts.

of beer, water, pop...whatcha gettin' at man...

Draft saved Draft deleted