2015 snow on roof

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Dec 27, 2015.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

As a new member I have a 2015 homestead quarter than I think the members will be interested in looking at. I named this quarter snow on the roof if any of the quarters that fits description this one does. The overse has small cudes on the bust, the reverse as quite obvious major and I do mean major code on the roof. And quite a large cude on the attic roof window, small cudes in the corn stock and not in view small crack at bottom of right side of bucket and some doubling in lettering. I would like to list the coin in cherry pickers for examination but have not been successful in contacting J.T.[​IMG] I will post the photos once I figure out how, a little help would be appreciated. I am not computer savvy. 2015 snow on roof.jpg snow on roof.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I see the snow on the rooftop; good name!

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

an the chip above the window is being called a "birds nest"...
    edit: and these have been called "snow on the roof" since they started being found..

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

and they are all "die chips" not cuds, cuds always involve the rim..
    and many of these have been found at many different stages, search cointalk threads and you should find some that were posted here..

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

"Snow On the Roof", "Popped Corn" ( Die Chips) in the stalks, "Leaky Bucket" for a die break at the bottom of the bucket, etc. Also, there can be a chipped pump fitting to look for. I'm not sure how that came to be as far as the process goes. Funny how these nick names come about.

7. 91stang2

91stang2 Pocket change junkie

and a hole in your pocket--this example has to be the best one I've seen--great pictures also---

tomfiggy and UnCommonCents like this.
  8. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Not worth sending in and wasting your money. I found upwards of 50+ with all sorts of various die breaks on the roof, etc. It will just get sent back to you with no attribution since it is not a double die. I have not heard of any doubling of the lettering that is true double die. Just doubling in the windows.

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I should mention, that if you are looking on ebay, there are plenty of people touting various forms of machine doubling as just doubling which would imply, in a shrewd manner, that they are doubled dies, which they are not. This would include the lettering, numerals, along the edges of the corn stalks and the chimney. Please do not be conned into thinking they actually have a true doubled die. Most of the doubling is in the windows and the pump handle which is also reflected in the windows. Collecting doubled dies can be a very exciting part of our hobby but nothing could be worse than spending your hard earned money on nothing important. If ever in doubt, take a nice clear picture to post here and someone will be able to help you out. There may always be a new, as yet unreported find out there, but there is also a pasture of cow pies waiting for you or anyone out there to step into unknowingly.

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

ken 454 I may be new to coin talk but I'm a novice I have only been collecting for 15 years. Birds nest is a nice name for the chip -cud. I think I like cow pie better. And I'm fully aware that snow on the roof has been around.ken454 what I have seen, this coin is number one on the snow on the roof list when I see a coin that fits the description better. i will say nice coin.

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

1. ken454 by the book you were completely right. Please go too coins.about.com and read the definition of cuds. It totally agrees with you but what is a cud,? And like most old school collectors so it's not touching the rim it's still a cude By definition.ken454 I was looking at error when l came across cointalk, I myself have a nice little collection of homestead errors. Like the one you have been looking at.ken454 lets say opinions are like aholes everyone has one.ken454 as we used to tell the new recruits in the marine get rid of that book it will get you killed.{red book}

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You can call a cud anything you wish. Won't change what a cud is. Language is used precisely in numismatics, and when someone refuses to use the language accurately it screws everyone up.

silentnviolent likes this.
  13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I totally agree with you. But if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it doesn't have to be in a pond to be called a duck. I assume the right terminology would be a non rim touching cud. (nrtc) would be the accurate language in numismatics.

14. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

call it what you want, if you think a cow stood on the roof an took a dump over the egde, well...ok, whatever, does'nt change the fact that they are only die chips and not cuds..

and no need to be calling someone an "ahole" when they are only trying to inform you of the correct terminology... coins.about.com? maybe you should try a reference with more numismatic knowledge than that site and maybe you'll learn something....

Cuds
    Part IV. Die Errors:
    Die Breaks:
    Cuds

Definition: A cud is a die break that involves the rim and at least a little bit of the adjacent field or design.
    http://www.error-ref.com/?s=cuds

Stevearino and 91stang2 like this.
  15. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

wrong.. not the right terminology... i can see you are a lost cause...(ignore)

16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Yes sir absolutely you are right there trying to pass off hub doubling and machine doubling as double dies. At no time did I claim that the coin was a double die I simply stated doubling in the lettering. Possibly hd-md. I learned over 15 years ago about a poor man's double die. I may not be politically correct. all I know is I'm an old marine who likes good looking coin's and thought the members would like to see what I think is a good look coin. P S if that is your error homestead coin on the main page, that's a good looking coin to.

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir all I wanted to do is show the members a nice lookin coin. Not a lesson in semantics sir you do not know me, I have my opinions as do you that's what makes this country great. sir I will be learning until the day I die I hope you will do the same.

18. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

1. (coins.aabout.com) cud error THE term cud used to describe the blob created by any die chip and or serious die crack regardless of its placement on the die or coin.

19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Maybe if you read further on that site, you can find the definition of how a cow's cud becomes a cow pie.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  20. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Thanks ken454. You did me a great service in trying to define an interesting error on a 1920 Lincoln. When I get decent photographs I'll post them.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And at no time did I say you were claiming the coin to be a doubled die. I was just trying to inform you of the possibility that others (are) trying to do this. And although I sincerely appreciate your service to our country I would appreciate it more if you took others here advice as just that, advice. These are my friends and they could be a valuable friend to you also if you did not get too up front and in their faces when all they are trying to do is help you. This a respectable forum that also has a lot of children here and calling someone names will get you booted out very quickly.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted