2015 Roosevelt: PMD or what?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by yartiques, Nov 19, 2017.

1. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Picture 034.jpg Picture 025.jpg Picture 026.jpg Picture 027.jpg Picture 028.jpg Picture 029.jpg Picture 030.jpg Picture 031.jpg Picture 032.jpg Picture 033.jpg (I'm still here!)
    Can anyone share their thoughts on this dime? weak strike or damage.
    Is there a term for the "sun ray lines" on the coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a weak strike..
    Looks to be a Deteriorated Die Strike with some Debris Filled Die. The striations is a result of the worn die.

4. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Thank you Sir.Your expertise is appreciated.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

What paddy said. Severely deteriorated die that should have been taken out of production a long time before it got this bad.

yartiques likes this.
  6. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Thanks Tommyc03

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

BTW, you will mostly see this on Philadelphia coins, rarely on Denver coins. Philly uses their dies to the bitter end and have very little respect for quality control. This is very much the norm and can be seen in the 2015 Homestead Quarters and the 2009 Lincoln Cents. There never should have been so many doubled die coins from Philly in these years. A lot of people suspect it was intentional to create a plethora of errors and interest. Some of these coins went for a lot of money when they first hit circulation and then the furor died down when so many were found. A lot of folks anteed up a lot of money for the more pronounced ones, only later to find the huge price drops caught them with their pants down.

yartiques, Kasia and eric6794 like this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I love to see profiteers take it when their pants are down.

9. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

I've almost gotten to the point where when I see a messed up coin I automatically assume it's a Philly.
    I wondered if maybe PA had legalized maryjane.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted