2015 Reverse Proof mint set?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Levi, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Yes, the mint is going nuts

Troodon likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

They've already been there and back already lol...

4. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

You know, you don't need to get all the coins. That's hoarding, not collecting.

5. Levi

Levi Member

@Troodon. I know. i don't buy all of the annual sets.
    I just think an annual reverse-proof set is another step in the wrong direction for the Mint.

6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I think it's great. I don't buy the mint or proof sets and wouldn't buy a reverse proof set either. But it's just great they're doing it. I hope they create a frenzy at the coin shows and that PCGS creates some nifty labels too.

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i am all for making 365 different proof sets from the mint. one type of set that can be sold only on one day. they can use different combinations of metals finishing and colors and new mint marks to achieve this. i am sure that will make quite a few rare sets and take the madness to new levels. :D

even GD will start collecting again if that happens :D

8. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

2015 will be the 50th anniversary of the US going from 90% silver to clad (& 40%). Maybe we need some sort of commemorative for that? A super special "double clad, devaluation" coin!!! It could have a flat, life-less design and it's value could be backed by a government guarantee only instead of real precious metal. Oh wait, that's business as usual....... Maybe it could be rolled in glitter and holograms?

Tinpot likes this.
  9. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

Sounds like the madness that precipitated the downfall of pro sports trading cards. Silver foil, gold foil, diamond, signed, hologram... let's not give the mint any ideas...

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

at one time i could say something and you would see it implemented on the mint website more often than not. those days are long over. but i do hope ND comes back so we can drill sense into the mint

11. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

U.S. mint hasn't gone as far as the Canadian Mint at least :yack:

12. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I think that they should create a video called "mint goes wild"!

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

To me it smacks of what brought down stamp collecting.

At this pace, they'll kill our hobby too.

Ironically, when the US Mint stopped making proof sets in 1965, they were blaming collectors for hoarding coins, now they're encouraging it.

14. To throw in my two-cent piece, I say to each their own. If some people like to collect reverse proofs, good on them. As far as the the us mint is concerned, shouldn't they cater to the demands and wishes of the people? Serve the marketplace? My simple answer is, if one doesn't like the reverse proof sets, don't buy them. If enough feel that way, it will be discontinued. I haven't made up my mind for or against, will have to wait and see the look, price, mintage, so forth. Cheers.

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted