2015 Proof Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Banker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. The Banker

The Banker New Member

Have a question for everyone. I am still new to coin collecting myself and do not own any proof sets. My wife and I welcomed our first child into the world and wanted to start him off right with collecting. I am thinking of buying him 2015 proof set. Just wanted peoples thought on what I should be getting him. Should I be buying the Uncirculated Coin Set 2015 plus the proof set? Should I buy the regular proof set or silver or both? Any input would be great.

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If it were me, I'd opt for the silver proof set. However, if you can afford it, I'd also get the Uncirculated Mint Set so that your child will be able to see the difference between the two.

Chris

The Banker likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why not get all the sets?!
    Your kid will love them so much when he gets older ;)

The Banker likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Back in the eighties I bought multiples of proof sets for my girls. Now that they're all grown up, they could care less for the sets. I'm saving these for the grand kids....if I ever get any. :)

6. The Banker

The Banker New Member

I was thinking of getting the uncirculated set and then the mint set and silver mint set just didn't know if that was overkill.

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

buying birth year sets for your 1st child (or future children) can never be "overkill"...

The Banker likes this.
  8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Ahhhh. If only our kids actually turned out the way we wanted them too.

My one son, would spend whatever I gave him and my other son hangs on to what I give him but has absolutely no interest in coins.

The net result is that I've sold off most of the Proof Sets (which I ordered by three's - one for the Dansco and one each for the kids). If they ever decide to collect coins after dear ole dad has gone from this existence, then they can buy their own and at a steep discount over what I paid for them at the US Mint!

IF the OP wants to get his son something related to numismatics, get him a Silver Eagle.

The Banker likes this.
  9. 19Lyds

Definitely overkill!

1985 CnClad Proof Set in 1985 = $11.00
    1985 CnClad Proof Set in 2015 = $5.00

A silver Proof Set might fare better but not by much.

1992 Silver Proof Set in 1992 = $21.00
    1992 Silver Proof Set in 2015 = $17.00

IMO, if children show a continued "interest" in numismatics and coins due to their relationships with their fathers and mothers, then that interest should be nurtured.
    If no interest is shown, then continually "giving" them something they don't want, isn't going to change how they feel. They might even begin to resent coins since it might replace a gift that the really wanted.

How many out there got clothes for Christmas? Ugh!

The Banker likes this.
  10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I don't think I'll ever trust a proof coin not to haze over. There are more than enough disappointments for new coin collectors. Do they really to need see their first coin going milky way on them?

I like 19Lyds suggestion of a silver eagle. But only BU, in a capsule or best of all a black Capitol holder.

The Banker likes this.
  11. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

I like the Silver Eagle idea, I would probably do that. If you're set on buying all the sets you could always wait till they hit the secondary market, prices almost always drop for mint/proof sets.

19Lyds and The Banker like this.
  12. The Banker

The Banker New Member

Yeah I think I am just going to start with the Silver Eagle and then wait and buy them on the secondary Market.

19Lyds likes this.
  13. 19Lyds

The ONLY upside to buying Proof or Mint Sets from the US Mint is the off chance that they might include an error coin or a popular doubled die. I did play that game when the 2009 Silver Proof Sets were released and it did yield two discovery doubled die reverse Lincoln Proof coins. DDR-001 (WDDR-001) and DDR-002 (WDDR-002).

OxJaw likes this.
  14. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Very cool! I never find anything like that. It would be awesome to have a discovery coin like that. Congrats!

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I did, they were useful, most other gifts were worthless. Clothes had the extra advantage that I didn't have to go shopping. I hate shopping. Love the internet though, I have a couple places where I get specific things so when my current clothes start to get worn just hop online and order a couple more sets and they show up in the mail a few days later.

Draft saved Draft deleted