2015 President C&C Set Medals

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I’m not a medal collector, so I know nothing about the potential value for these medals. Anyone out there know?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Medals don't have any set face value. Don't buy them for profit potential. Buy them because you like them. I have several hundred medals from the 19th & early 20th century. I bought them for their historical importance.

Chris

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Face value has nothing to do with potential value of a coin or medal.

6. cpm9ball

......and purchase price has nothing to do with the potential value. Duh!

Chris

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

When they (mint) came out with the first set in the series (Teddy Roosevelt) I just had to have one because that silver medal looked so beautiful. When the second set came out I felt the same way.......I love those medals. While I'm not a big medal collector I do buy what I want when I see something that I really like. The sets are really easy to store too.....about the size of a pocket journal.

Here's what I don't get. The first two sets in the series came with a limited mintage of 20,000 sets. A mere 3,000 set drop in mintage sets off a firestorm of buying for the latest set (Truman) in the series? I don't get it. By the way. The second set is still available from the mint. For all you guys that like low mintage items there's still time to get in on this one.

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The difference? The dollar in those sets is just like any other normal presidential dollar. Not limited. This one has the reverse proof which will ONLY be 17,000. That's the difference.

19Lyds likes this.
  9. green18

Thanks for reminding me 'Witten. For some odd reason I had forgotten about that. Silly me........:)

jwitten likes this.
  10. Is 17,000 considered a low mintage for these types of medals? TC

11. green18

I think so, but demand for medals is different from demand for coins. Exonumia and numismatics are two (closely related) different animals.

12. green18

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The "Medal" in the Truman Set is 1 ounce of .999 Fine Silver. So.......when silver goes up (because the Lone Ranger needs more bullets) then the price of the medal will rise as well.

I like that.

"Medals" in some US Mint sets are silver plated such as the Peace Medal in the Westward Journey Set(s).

14. green18

That is a medal that should have been kept in bronze. The silver plating makes the medal look cheap and unappealing.

15. cpm9ball

For these, possibly yes, but for medals in general, definitely not. The mintage for most non-US mint medals is at least one-tenth as much. The mintage for privately-struck medals can be as little as a few hundred (for silver), but rarely more than 1,500.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted